Sunday, November 20, 2011

Superb Saturday

A jug of that apple cider came home to the Lovestead yesterday, as did three pies, two loaves of bread, a tub of Amish peanut butter and two full stomachs.
I dragged Bill to the Mennonite Baked Goods and Craft Sale, but I don't think I'll have to urge him again.  He'll probably be marking the event on the calendar for next year.
Besides all the wonderful prepared foods, we enjoyed chatting with friends too.
In fact, both folks in the photo directly above have Sandpoint roots:  that would be Mrs. Rasmussen ( I taught all her children) and Larry Miller, a former colleague (and, yes, I taught his son and daughter too). 
Before deciding to go, Bill asked, "How long do you plan to spend up there?"
I assured him I'd make my rounds quickly, grab a few items and probably head back home.  I also reminded him of the barbecued ribs the Mennonites were touting in their ads.
For me, the overall atmosphere of steam wafting from an outdoor kettle of simmering apple butter, families lining up for a wagon ride behind a matched pair of Arabian Haflingers, long tables loaded down with home-baked honey bread, assorted pies, cinnamon rolls and cookies----that's enticing enough for me to want to return each year.
Plus, I've gotten to know some of the Mennonite folks over the years, and it's always nice to visit with them as they maintain a friendly, laid-back but busy day of commerce aimed at funding their Kootenai Valley School.
For Bill, those tender, tasty ribs with cornbread,  dutch-oven potatoes, baked beans and cherry cobbler served inside a cozy building with walls made from hay bales and warm wood stove will probably be the subject of many a tale to exchange with friends.
Plus, we enjoyed visiting with several folks who were enjoying the scene as much as we were. 
It's a scene that begs for firsthand experience because words and pictures can capture its essence, but "being there" once will most likely guarantee return visits. 
Our day continued its upbeat rhythm as we drove home from Bonners Ferry and marveled at the Christmas-card magnificence of virtually every scene along the highway.
When we pulled into the driveway, Bill said, "This place looks like a Christmas card too."
I agreed, and stepped out of the car to snap a few photos of the yard and barnyard flanked by the Meserve's stately and gorgeous row of spruce, planted the year they were married, 60-plus years ago. 
Later, I slipped into my snow shoes and took my first outing with Kiwi across Meserve's field.  Snow was deep, and the workout was perfect for a full stomach, not used to eating lunch, let alone a feast.
Later, we flipped the remote back and forth, watching what we considered the "parallel of the Palouse." 
Idaho and WSU, both played Utah football teams yesterday, with games beginning and ending almost in precision and tied.  Exciting overtime periods led to defeats for both teams and two Utah teams going home victorious.
Not the outcome we would have liked but definitely excellent afternoons of football.
As those games ended, we headed for my sisters' house for hamburgers, huckleberry pie ala mode and another sweet win for the ZAGS.
Hard to top a day like yesterday but easy to look back and smile about the overall image-filled events.
Now, for some more photos and some plotting on what to do with the day ahead.
Happy Sunday.

3 comments:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Is that Larry Miller in the photo, or a look alike?

MLove said...

Yeah, Toni. Sure is, Larry.

Rob Dyck said...

I Love all Mennonite cooking but espescially BBQ. I have my favorite recipes on my blog here:

http://mennobbq.blogspot.com/

Enjoy,

Rob Dyck