Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesday Twitterdeegobbledgobbedly


No paper this morning.  No school today.  
My sisters came home from school yesterday and finished up their plowing (three driveways) about 7:30 last night.  
So, I think they weren't too upset with the news of school closures. In spite of getting stuck a couple of times, their hard work of digging out was completed last night.
I'm figuring the amount of rain we received overnight---and that which we continue to receive on top of all that snow---may eventually take care of the sloppy mess we have in the driveway and on the roads. 
I'm hoping so, anyway, because I'm driving to Spokane later today to pick up Annie. 

Speaking of things not happening:  how 'bout that 'Stupor' Committee!
Lowering of standards in this country has taken a new low, I believe.  
Call it a "Super" committee, suggesting that it's really something special and that it will solve some problems, and what did they accomplish???
What a message to send to our young people!  
The supposed best and brightest of the brightest in America are handed an assignment,  and they didn't even turn it in.
Oh, they turned in an excuse, all right.
At least, they didn't blame the dog for eating it.  I guess that's some progress.
This group, all 12 of them,  should have been held after class and not allowed to go home until they turned in something besides a lame excuse.
I don't care so much about whatever suggestions they would have come up with; what I care about is that they represent a not-so-great symbol "leadership" in this country.
This "sit-on-your-hands" style of leadership is certainly going to inspire the best and brightest yet to come.
I've heard "kick the can" a lot this year in regard to the economy and the debt.  
Well, I kick a Folgers coffee can across the yard for our Border Collies, and, at least they race after it, pick it up, bring it back.
Then, they wait happily for the next opportunity to do something with it.
In the case of our elected leaders, nobody's even retrieving the can.  
Maybe we need the dogs to gobble up the Stupor Committee's excuse and show them how to accomplish something---anything. 
I think they'd come up with something to,  at the very least,  chew upon. 

'Nough said about that.  My friend Cis at http://wordtosser.blogspot.com/
ran across a website where we Americans can "choose our own" rather than having big money choose for us.  
The process involves a little thought and some work:  we tell what we'd like in a leader; they go look for someone who fits the requirements. 
I suggest that anyone who is as disgusted as I am this morning check out Cis' information on her blog.  
Seems to me this could have some merit, and it could send a much-needed message to the "stupor" folks who seem to be totally petrified in their stupor.

On a bright note, I have hope.  I've started sending out questionnaires to a few selected alumni from Sandpoint High School.
I've received a few responses and some promises to fulfill their assignments when they aren't quite as busy as they are now. 
If anyone ever needed an exhilarating breath of fresh air and a reason to remain upbeat, these responses do the trick. 
We can take so much pride in our local graduates, who---in spite of the drippy umbrella of dismay that seems to monopolize the news---are accomplishing outstanding and productive achievements with their lives.  
In addition, they're making a positive difference in this world. 
It will be fun to send out more questionnaires over the winter, and I'm betting the results will help me, one day at a time, deal with the multitude discouraging frustrations that continually smack us in the face from headline news events.
I'm thinking about creating an Internet site where I can post these responses in their entirety because they ARE inspiring.
So far, I'm guessing all these people do take on their assignments and do complete them in exemplary fashion.
There's hope on this yucky, wet day, and there's fun ahead cuz Annie's coming home. 
Happy Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The super committee was destined to fail before it started. It was working on the wrong problem. The lack of agreement on deficit, debt, what-have-you is merely a symptom of the real problem. The real problem is that we're face to face with the issue of whether we want to be a country of limited government with the individual granting limited sovereignty to the state or whether we want to be a country in which total sovereignty rests in a powerful state which apportions personal liberty as it sees fit. Our current government is hell-bent-for-for leather toward the latter. To many of us, that is anathema to everything that our lives have taught us. I'm not sure what success for this committee would have looked like; probably no one is. My betting, though, is that success, whatever it was, for one side would have been abject failure for the other. Good riddance to the super committee...maybe we'll now find the courage to face down our real problem.

MJB