Saturday, December 31, 2011

Saturday Slight


Who woulda thunk it???  Bill just announced that he'll probably go pheasant hunting today.
"It's bare ground, it's nice and it's the last day of the season," he said while looking out the window at the blue sky and grabbing the pile of newspapers. 
"Where did you see those pheasants?" he then asked, ". . . whereabouts on the trail?"
I told him the approximate location where the dogs had scared up two on my way down the trail and a rooster on my way back."  
That was a couple of weeks ago.
"If yer asking for GPS coordinates, I'm not gonna give them to you," I said, with a teasing tone. "I'm sure those pheasants aren't sitting there waiting for you."  
Still, who woulda thunk pheasant hunting in North Idaho on the last day of the year?
Amazing! 
Had to use that word because it made the thumbs-down list of overused words for 2011.  Still, I can't think of a more fitting way to express the shock that we've been able to do so much more fun stuff outside during this month of December.
Over the past several days, I've been enjoying pleasant walks through the forest here at the Lovestead. 
Pine-needle blankets beneath the trees are really cushiony this time of year.  I've discovered that wonderful sensation while taking steps through areas seldom visited during the winter, except for an occasional outing on snow shoes.
Usually, those pine needles are buried deep beneath a long-lasting, thick blanket of snow.
On these walks, I've discovered that other creatures have been enjoying those brown needle beds too.
Many deposits of deep green droppings indicate regular visits to these areas by deer who've chosen to stick around.  
Usually, we don't see a deer around here from late November until sometime in the spring.
No need for them to leave this year cuz conditions are pretty comfy for them.  
Their numbers are down from what we usually see in the summer time, and I suspect that they, like humans, have their population of snow birds who head to Sunnyside. 
Anyway on this last day of December, my window up here is open and I can hear the crows cawing outside.  
We appreciate the gift of being able to be outside and to do more than plow, shovel or go  snow shoeing occasionally. 
Later today we'll be celebrating my sister's birthday and hoping the ZAGS can go into Cincinnati and come back with a victory over Xavier.
The paper says Xavier's back in full force tonight after several players were suspended because of that well-publicized ugly brawl with Cincinnati a few weeks ago.
I'm sure those players will be on best behavior during their re-entry game tonight, but I'm also sure Gonzaga's got a challenge on its hands.  
Coach Mark Few pointed out that Xavier (9-3) was undefeated before the brawl and their being at full strength tonight will mean a tough game for the ZAGS. 
Still, the ZAGS are looking better all the time, so I'm thinking they may find a way to win this one.  Go ZAGS.
Happy Saturday to all.  Stay safe and enjoy welcoming in the new year as we say good bye to 2011 on this beautiful Saturday.
 

No comments: