Thursday, December 08, 2011

Selle Dirt-Road Album


The top photo isn't the most artistic photo in the world, but it works.
I took it yesterday while walking in the sunshine down South Center Valley Road.
Not a day goes by that I don't pinch myself about the good fortune of living out in this area.
If Sandpoint is America's Most Beautiful Small Town, its Selle area to the north has got to be America's Most Beautiful Small-Town Suburb.
That's my belief anyway.
And, even though this is "the back road to the dump" or more euphemistically termed "transfer station," there's never a time when I go up or down this road on foot, on horseback, on my bike or in a car that I don't marvel at its calm, tranquil nature.
We see so much from this road, so much more than Jack Filipowski's beautiful Hereford cattle.  
I'd say they're the "stars" of the pastureland settings; after all, in the three-mile stretch, those cows graze in about two thirds of the fields on either side of the road.
But they do compete with hundreds of deer and a couple of dozen elk.
And, I can't forget several flocks of turkeys. 
On days like yesterday---about noon time---except for a few passing cars, pedestrians,  like the gentleman in the photo, pretty much own the road.  
This gentleman, during the winter time, owns the road almost every day as he takes his regular strolls from his home on Snowberry Lane to intersection of Selle Road and South Center Valley Road.
I felt like I owned the road for most of my two-mile walk yesterday, veering to the right side to get a good picture or marching right down the middle---just cuz I could.  
As usual, I snapped a few photos while soaking up the sunshine and inhaling fresh, crisp air.   
So, if all works right, I'll leave you with a few of the images from yesterday's lovely walk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures - it was a glorious day, wasn't it? Makes me miss Selle a bit!
Julie / Orlando