Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday Twitterdeedum


I could walk to the barn this morning, barely.
Kea wanted to jump up to lick my hand.  Kea's never happy until she licks my hand.
I told her to stay away because I needed to plan every step to avoid going splat on the ground.
Kea did not understand, especially cuz dogs don't seem to have much of a problem moving around on bone-breaking ice.
Slippin' and slidin' was a bit less intense this morning from the all-day "watch-your-every- step" challenges of yesterday. 
For early morning chores, I had slipped on Bill's Yak Tracks, which happened to be hanging on the exercise bike next to the door.
For mid-morning chores, Bill's Yak Tracks were gone, off to work with him.
That meant looking for mine, and I'm sad to say that Yak Tracks are afflicted with that same separation disease so endemic in gloves and socks. 
When you least suspect it, one half of the pair disappears.  Yesterday morning, after searching every possible hiding spot for the pair of lifesavers on ice, I called Bill at the office.
He went out to his pickup and found one track.
So, I looked again with no luck, all this time, slippin' and slidin' with every trip out to the remaining vehicles for searching under seats, in cushions, etc. 
Well, now, after a trip to town, I have three items to keep me safe on the ice.  The two crampons purchased yesterday "ain't no Yak Tracks," I'll tell you. 
Thinking that I now could walk with ease over the ice, I took off down North Kootenai Road.  Just a few feet down the road, one of the crampons threatened to fall right off my boot.
I slipped it back on and then took on a new gait just to keep the piece of rubber with metal edges where it belonged.
So, today I'm glad the ice is less slick and I'll be looking for that lone Yak Track which is hiding somewhere.
Looks like we've got a good week in store once tomorrow's predicted rain passes----four-five straight days of sun and warm temps.
If we're lucky, by next week most of the ice and maybe even most of the snow will be gone for a while anyway AND it will be February.

Of course, I'm sure Matt Smart would like to see the snow hang around for a while.  This morning I received my first note announcing "ski joring" practice at Matt's place up Rapid Lightning Creek Road.
In case there's anyone out there with a horse or skis and a snowboard who would like to compete in this year's second annual contest, here's the scoop straight from Matt:

Just a reminder. We are having a Ski Joring practice on Sunday, Feb.5 at noon at Mountain Horse Adventures (377 Sugar Mountain Road , Sandpoint).

Bring your horse and or skis. The course will be very similar to the competition course. I am looking to build some more, solid Sandpoint teams.

Horses should be unloaded at the foot of Sugar mountain Road, and walked up, as the road is not currently friendly. 
Please RSVP so I know about numbers of people/horses/skiers.

And get ready for Skiiiiiiiiiiiiijoring!! competition on Feb 18-19. Please forward this to all interested. . . . Thanks, Matt---263-8768----610-2025


So, there ya go.  Winter Carnival has been moved to February (President's Weekend) this year, and Ski Joring will again provide a highlight to the slate of activities. 


Bill and I enjoyed a small taste of his retirement yesterday.  He came home early, so we loaded up in his pickup, stopped at Samuels Store for some treats and then drove for several miles on the Upper Pack River Road.
Now, those folks living up there have some snow; I'd say at least twice as much as we do.  It actually looked kinda depressing, thinking about how long it will take them to really dig out and see some spring.
There's no prettier place in the spring, summer and fall, though. 

Birds are singing outside my open window,  and the sky doesn't look too threatening, so we can look forward to a nice day ahead. 
So, I'll bid you adieu, sing a few "Hallelujahs" about saying good bye to January and wish you a happy Tuesday. 

No comments: