Saturday, March 03, 2012

Saturday Slight


Doug Miller snapped this shot of the Mt. St. Helens ash cloud from a back yard in Ephrata, WA on May 18, 1980.  A few months later, we were all proud to learn that Doug's photo appeared on the cover of National Geographic.
I have the magazine tucked away somewhere among our many collectibles.  It will always stay in the family because of the significance of the event and because of Doug.
As with all of our extended family, I was saddened to learn last Saturday while driving to Las Vegas that Doug had died due to complications from surgery.
Doug was married to my cousin Madalyn.  
He was Ephrata's town photographer who captured the special life moments for families within his town and the surrounding area---Baptisms, graduations, proms, weddings, family reunions.
Yes, I remember a few years ago when Doug organized the Brown family photo which hangs on the wall next to me.  Many of us had attended the family reunion at a recreational area near Ephrata.
And, we had a blast with all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
That was the last time I saw Doug.
Besides being a gifted photographer, he was a family man, father of four wonderful children and devoted husband to Madalyn.
From what I know the two worked as a team when Doug had his photography business.
Doug and Madalyn came to Sandpoint for visits a few times over the years, and I know our local family members all loved him just as much as Madalyn.  He was a laid-back, nice guy.
Madalyn and Doug, along with the rest of the Walthos, experienced a sad family transition just over a month ago when the family patriarch George Waltho passed away.
So, the sting of Doug's passing is all the more painful.
My heart goes out to the wonderful Walthos and to Doug's family at this time.  
Doug Miller was a good man, and a phenomenal photographer who shall be missed.

~~~~~
The big Sandpoint news this morning is that Presidential candidate Ron Paul will be coming to town Monday for a townhall meeting at the fairgrounds. 
I do not share his politics, but I know that a lot of folks around here do.  It should be quite a turn-out for the consummate but optimistic underdog in the Republican primary.
Plus, not too many Presidential candidates show up in Sandpoint, so there's a little history to be told too.
I may go take pictures.
Two big-time Republican names in less than a week, i.e., Dan Quayle and Ron Paul.  That's pretty significant.
I still maintain that strong desire on my bucket list to some day actually see a real live President.  I've seen some wax models, but that's just not the same.
~~~~~
The weather forecast says we're gonna have a nice week ahead---high 40s and no rain after today.  Maybe all this snow will be gone by the time we turn our clocks forward next Saturday.  
It's actually kinda neat each morning before 6 to come up for air during my first-cup-of-coffee computer sessions and see daylight out the window.  
We'll lose some of that early daylight next week but we'll be happy to enjoy late afternoons and early evenings outside. 
~~~~~
I'm reading three books at different intervals right now---still Steve Jobs (it's a fat one), The Help, which my friend Mow loaned me, and another which I discovered at Palm Springs Airport Tuesday. 
I told Bill it would be difficult to get anything done now that I've started reading Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne.  It's an historical narrative of Quanah Parker, a powerful Comanche warrier. 
Definitely a compelling and informative historical read so far.
~~~~~
Well, it's hard not to conclude with a little ZAGS talk this morning.  As expected, the ZAGS will take on BYU tonight at 8 at the WCC tournament in Las Vegas.
Word is they'll make it to the dance regardless, but there's pride at stake, and all of us ZAGS fans are hoping they'll make it to the dance via the WCC tournament championship.
Should be some great basketball tonight.  GO ZAGS!!

Happy Saturday to all. 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful about making cell phone/iphone calls while Ron Paul is in town. The tin-foil hats interfere with the reception.

MJB

jimholte@hotmail.com said...

do you suppose there is much difference between seeing a wax president and a "real live" president? ...I for one am thinking not... =)