Tuesday, May 01, 2012

May Day . . . May Day Twitterdeedripdrip


There's new snow in them there hills.  It's another rain-pants day.  And, Baby, it's cold outside.

Happy May Day.

Hard to imagine going out and collecting a May Day basket today, but I'll still give it a try.
I know where there are some beautiful yellow violets, which do remind me of some wonderful May Days of past years.

Maybe I'll drive over and pick a few to add to the beautiful yellow daffodils which have been adding spring delight to our yard.

I'll take the basket down to Mother, who may need a reminder to turn over her "Cats Doing Yoga" calendar to this year's fifth month.  

If you haven't seen the Cats Doing Yoga calendar, you must.  It's great for cheering up. 

~~~~I snoozed and lived vicariously with Debbie through the night.  On each awakening, I'd look at the clock and think of how many more hours she had in her flight to London.

Our last contact with her came around 7:15 last evening when she was seated on the British Airways flight and ready to take off.   

She sent several text messages while at Sea Tac, the first one being a photo with the words, "Guess who I met on the tram on our way to our gates."

The photo included Debbie and our neighbor Juli Breuer.  Juli lives over off North Kootenai Road and sells cookie mixes.  She was headed for Hawaii.

As I was walking to the barn this morning, I took my cell phone.  Just outside the door, the little "bluurrrp" sounded off.  I took the phone back inside where Bill was cooking breakfast and read aloud, "Yes, I made it.  On the train to Hempstead." 

We'll be keeping close watch on Facebook for developments on Debbie's adventure in England, France and The Netherlands.  She wants to realize two long-held dreams: standing in front of the Eiffel Tower and visiting Ann Frank's home in Amsterdam. 

~~~~~In other news, I saw a very sensible letter in today's paper, regarding the upcoming Idaho primary.  Mindy Cameron, former edictorial page editor of the Seattle Times penned the piece.

Register Republican, she advises.  She's referring to the age-old line that "all politics is local," and this year several very important political races will appear on the primary ballot.

Mindy suggests that these primary races trump the principle of holding fast to your party.  I fully agree.

As a citizen who has always zigzagged across the ballot, I have no problem declaring myself a Republican for this important cause.  

Throughout my voting career, I've always leaned much more toward the individual than either party.

Plus, in this election zone, I don't think there ARE a lot of Democratic candidates in hot races.

We do, however, have some solid GOP candidates up for local and state offices, many of them highly experienced and dedicated in looking out for their constituencies----as opposed to party line.  

They deserve our vote.  So, I'll second Mindy's motion.  If you're voting in the upcoming Idaho primary, REGISTER REPUBLICAN.  And, do pass the word.

Keep in mind that in the general election that we still do have SECRET BALLOT here in the United States of America.

~~~~It looks like we may have a few breaks between the rain today, so I'm hoping some of the lakes around here will dry up.  Even my garden west of the house has a big puddle in one section.

BUT I'm thrilled to report that my peas, planted around the dog kennel, a few weeks ago are thriving.  They're about three inches high and growing happily every day.

I hadn't planted peas for a number of years because it seemed too labor intensive at harvest time to shell all those pods.  

Last year's small crop was so delightful and I do have a little more time on my hands, so I'm looking forward to a few afternoons of sitting out on a step with a kettle full of green shells in my lap.

Of course, what comes after will be the big reward:  fresh, buttered peas with salt and pepper.  Yum.

This year's garden already has two plantings, and more will come when the dirt dries up.

Enough said for this May Day.  

Hope there are baskets of posies aplenty gathered up, eliciting big smiles from those receiving the May Day surprises.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry - can't do it - Independent all the way. Shame on the Republicans for holding citizens of this state hostaage!