Thursday, May 10, 2012

"Time after Time I See Reflections"


The lyrics of Debbie's song about the mirrors may differ from those of Diana Ross' classic. 

Still, I could not help but think of the legendary singer's timeless hit (used to be the theme for the television program "China Beach," if I recall correctly). 

I'm sure Debbie's time after time reflections will be happy memories, especially the experience of walking through this exquisite palace in Paris yesterday.  She posted the following with the photo above on her Facebook wall: 

Who would of thought I would come to Paris to see sun!? We have been sooo lucky with the weather while we have been here! 

Wowzers! Today was amazing! Spent the day in Versailles: checked out the grandest and most famous chateau in France. Just love being a tourist. :)

Today she leaves Paris bound for London, and by tomorrow evening,  she'll be back in Seattle.  We can't wait to see Debbie and listen to her reflections of a time and place sure to stay with her all the days of her life. 

Today is a reflective day for Bill also.  He'll wear a special cap as "Honorary Chair" of the Idaho State Forestry Contest, an event he helped start about three decades ago.

Hundreds of students, ranging from grade school to high school from around the region will once again descend on the Ray Delay farm at Careywood, south of Sandpoint.

They'll compete in various divisions and will spend time learning from experts about the forest industry.  They'll also eat hamburgers and other goodies.  Like Debbie, they've lucked out with the weather too.

Call it "vintage Bill."  Last night he told me the officials would be presenting him the "honorary chair" hat.  He said he'd put it on  and then announce that he will dedicate it to the memory of Joe Venishnick.

Joe, like Bill, was a forester, so dedicated to the Idaho State Forestry Contest that he attended every year until his health would not permit his attendance. 

When Bill told me of his plans, I said, "How perfect.  I can tell Andrea.  And, tomorrow is her 65th birthday." 

Andrea is Joe's oldest daughter and one of my beloved classmates from Sandpoint High School.  I can confirm that she will be very moved by Bill's thoughtfulness. 

Andrea is just one of my dear friends who celebrate birthdays today. 

I'm always pleased to mention Laura Delamarter.  She and I go back to toddler days, and we've kept in touch through ALL THOSE YEARS. 

My friend Pam Eimers has a birthday today.  While mentioning her, I must interject the fact that I scanned a birthday card (sent to me very early) by another dear friend.

The card features a motorized toilet---tank and all.  

Anyone who knows me well----especially Pam----knows that a such a vehicle would be the PERFECT gift for Marianne.

Pam knows this better than anyone after traveling with the Love family back in the early 1980s  from Western Washington to Sandpoint.  

Pam will eagerly tell folks that she wasn't sure if she was EVER going to get home to Sandpoint, thanks to countless potty stops for Marianne.  

Anyone who knows me well knows that I could pen another book on my "Have to Get to the Bathroom NOW" experiences. 

Anyway, Pam received a photo of the toilet car with her birthday wishes this morning.

The other birthday I know of today will be celebrated by Mr. Buddy Chambers.  He's 18 today.  Hard to believe it's been 18 years since Buddy was born.

We have enjoyed watching him grow up into a courageous, hilarious, adventurous, full-of-life young man, and I'm thrilled to send him Happy Birthday greetings.

I know there must be more folks born on this day, but all of the above are special to me.

Happy Birthday, Andrea, Laura, Pam and Buddy!  And, a lovely day in May to all. 

May it be filled with beautiful reflections and good times.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I echo all the kind words said of Joe V. He was a man of honor, churchmanship, community leader and friend. We cherish his memory and thanks Bill for highlighting Joe's service. d&j