Monday, June 25, 2012

Flowers and Life






Okay, it's the Facebook era, and half the world knows when a birthday comes along.
So, I won't pretend that it's NOT my birthday today. 

This is a rather significant birthday----by U.S. Government standards, anyway.
It's the Big M (Medicare eligibility) edition.  

I've been teasing friends and family about their Big M birthday for a few years now.
And, now I ARE one of them.

I guess since it's the Big M birthday, that also means I'm officially OLD.  So, if any of my former students now wish to refer to me as Old Lady Love, it's okay.

The other thing I thought about in regard to this particular birthday is that those of us born in 1947 have a significant connection with our Big M birthday.

We graduated in '65; now we are 65.  
I was thinking about my kids and when they graduated.
I wonder when their birthday and graduation stars line up if they'll be bragging that they "graduated in '95 and '96 and they are now 95 and 96."

Hmm!  Maybe brain boosters will help them remember that connection when the time comes.  For sure I'm not gonna be around to remind them.

On this official first day on the road toward my 66th year of life, I did most of the same stuff as always. 

Only I did smear a little of the Icy Hot gel on my arthritic knee before going out to let the horses out.
It's important when you're officially 65 to feel perfect.
So, the Icy Hot did the trick on knee pain while the dogs and I enjoyed a walk through most of the woods.

I also walked a little further than usual on the road segment (past Taylor's mailbox), just to prove to myself that I'm not as old as the birth certificate suggests.

The other highlight of my morning got me to thinking about when I celebrated my first birthday 64 years ago.  I was wondering if I was still pooping my pants.

Yes, that's a disgusting thing to think about, but I've heard that people can get back to doing that eventually.

Well, no problems on that account for me this morning, but poop is still on my mind.

You see my husband put out the usual "at home" card on the kitchen island last night before going to bed.  

The card was sitting on a package of six colorful sets of garden gloves.

I opened the card, and there was a picture of a compost machine.  Bill sez it's coming Wednesday and that it makes 48 gallons of compost in three weeks.

Of course, all I can think of is poop. 

 Bill sez I can just shovel the stuff from the manure pile into that machine to my heart's content.

So, there are some things you never quite escape, and, in this case, I'm gonna love turning poop into garden dirt.

Finally, I must borrow from a note sent to me on Facebook---just to let you know that what you see of me at 65 is pretty much what you would have seen any time in the past six decades:  rough, tough and ready to take on any challenge. 

Thank you, Debbie Jacobson,  for the memory:

Happy Birthday, Marianne "Brown" Love :) :) One of my fondest memories was a lunch time baseball game at the old junior high school. Dress attire for us girls those days was always skirt or dress. We were never allowed to wear jeans or slacks. Well, that didn't stop you, Marianne Brown, from sliding home in your straight skirt....... yup - you were SAFE!! The run counted!! Have a joyful birthday :)
Alive at 65 and still lovin' the flowers and life!

3 comments:

Bluemax 36 said...

Happy birthday, Marianne...and welcome to the codger club. It's actually better than it sounds. People start making allowances for you....

MJB

Word Tosser said...

Marianne, it is all a state of mind.. age that is.. while I readily admit to be 72... I feel like 48.. at least on most days.lol... remember 60's is the new 40's.. hope you have a day full of laughter..

Dena said...

Happy Birthday Marianne! Enjoy the summer day!

From an avid follower and fan since 1995,