Saturday, March 16, 2013

Prelude to St. Paddy's



Pardon me for starting the celebration a day early.  I read, however, in this morning's paper that Spokane will have its St. Patrick's Day parade today.

Later, today I'll go down to Fiddlin' Red's Music Store (on Church Street in the old Rowlands Hotel) and get the second part of "Molly McCloud" for my banjo playing.

He gave me the first half of the song on Thursday, but my brain wasn't working quite right as I attempted to get my fingers to work in any harmonic fashion on the correct strings. 

So, he said that maybe the first half of the song was enough for me.

In the peace and quiet of my home yesterday, I concentrated enough to know that even if I make a feeble attempt at this song at my slow-picking pace, it sounds kinda pretty. 

So, he said when I called him yesterday afternoon that he'd give me the second half.  

I want to play it on St. Patrick's Day----maybe just for the dogs and mostly for myself as another passionate experience associated with our wonderful Irish holiday.  

My mother can hear out of just one ear, so maybe I'll take my banjo down there tomorrow and play "Molly McCloud" into her right ear.  

Since she hears out of her left, and maybe she'll tell me that sure was nice. 

Anyway, I picked a couple of Irish song videos and will dedicate them this morning to my precious daughter Annie in memory of our trip to Ireland this time two years ago.

Many of the images in the first video brought me to tears as I remembered the magical times we enjoyed on that trip.

We also stayed in a bed and breakfast in Galway, so the second song has new meaning to me.

That said, I'll shut up, and encourage all you Irish folks, plus those who claim to be Irish in March, to enjoy.


No comments: