Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday Slight






This spring some new housing---very affordable---showed up in Selle.  I thought I'd get the word out because these attractive houses along Del Bader's farm borders could use some occupants.

I think it's on a first-come, first-served basis too. 

I'm guessing that Del spent the winter building and painting them.  If so, he did a good job, and his work certainly adds another touch of country flavor to the neighborhood. 

Those calves up there belong to Dan Wood up the road from us.  Two of them were cavorting aka head butting each other when I drove past the other night.  

By the time I'd pulled out my camera, cavorting stopped and posing for the picture began. I may have stated so before, but once more I have to say those red babies are the prettiest of all beef cattle----at least to my eye. 

The pretty times roll on here in Selle, and I'm trying to take in every aspect before fragrances and lovely spring blooms start disappearing.

My iris are taking off right now, as are the lupine in Love Canal.  Should be very pretty within the next week or so. 

I also think we've had our last freeze.  Some of my beans, and the transplanted corn got hit the night before last, but I think the little plants will all bounce back. 

Today will involve some more transplanting of marigolds and the last of my geraniums.  

That means just the cucumbers will be left in the greenhouse, and after losing my whole crop in one fell swoop of cold air last year, I've decided that this year's crop may stay inside until July.

We'll have lettuce, radishes and salad onions to eat in the next week or so, and tonight I'll probably cut the last of the asparagus to go along with whatever we barbecue. 

Fun times.  Good way to spend the holiday weekend, along with the remembrances. 

Happy Saturday, and, Janet Anthony, I hope you have a wonderful birthday.  You deserve it. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. With the whole family here, I am sure I will enjoy it.
Janet