Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Summer gatherings and Bees and This Just In


It's a beautiful sight, indeed.  The far bay of our machine shed has a stack of hay covered by two tarps.  I always love that scene.

This year it was created in 30 minutes.  Yup, that's all it took for Harvey's hay handlers to organize and pack in this year's somewhat dismal yield of 134 bales from our fields.  

It's okay to be dismal, though, because I still have a ton coming from last year, and, just to be sure, I ordered a couple more. 

Our horses will dine well this winter, as usual.  And, Bill and I did not have to lift too many fingers in the process. 

This year's hay stacking turned out to be about a 4-can affair.  Four cans of bee repellent sit out there on the ground near the hay stack----two from when we removed the old bales and two from yesterday.  

The guys found a nest in a broken bale left in the shed, but nobody got stung so we're happy about that. 

The gathering continues up here in garden spots and from bee-infested berry bushes.  I never did get the prime raspberries from the shaded areas of my bushes cuz I never really cared to inspect where the wasp nest down inside happened to be. 

So, it was a matter of dodging the wasps as I plucked what berries I could.  

I finally decimated the ground nest next to one of my blueberry bushes---after three full assaults on different occasions with bee spray. 

Nonetheless, a few hangers-on darted in and out of my space as I picked a bowl of berries last night.  These are the black wasps, and lucky for them and me, they didn't take any chunks out of my skin. 

Bees are also a challenge in the gardens, especially with the lettuce.  They like my green beans too, but so far, no garden-related injuries. 

The horses ate the last of the pea vines----all of four baggies from all those vines.  I'm still thinking frozen peas may make life a bit easier, but I haven't tasted this year's variety yet. 

We did taste fresh green beans and new potatoes last night in the summer's first veggie dinner with Wood's German sausages, butter, cheddar cheese and sour cream.  

While telling  Bill to dish up before he headed out to gather wood, I added "about a thousand calories per bite."  

But, oh, so good!

This morning he threw some of last night's berry picking into his hotcakes, so we're enjoying the fruits and veggies of all that labor and loving it. 

In other news, I know how high deer can jump.  We had a little doe feeding on clover inside our round pen as the dogs and I walked down the lane last night.  

She saw us, turned frantic and launched off, clearing the top metal rail with no trouble at all.  I thought it would have been nice to close the gate so we could have our resident deer all penned up, but they have the springs to go as high as needed, it seems. 

Speaking of news, I've taken on another writing assignment, which makes a total liar out of me in reference to my claim of "no more deadlines."  

I said yes for two reasons---the assignment will be helpful in dealing with the sadness of Mother's loss, and it deals with a subject I submitted to Sandpoint Magazine earlier this year.  

The topic:  the North Dakota migration of so many of our locals.  I find the situation fascinating and loaded with historical and dramatic details.  

Finding accuracy in the sheer numbers of people who have left the area to seek their fortunes or two simply pay some bills at home will be difficult.  

But to tell a few of their stories will fit virtually every dimension of why I view journalism as my passion.  Stay tuned. 

The story should appear in the winter edition of Sandpoint Magazine.  Also, if local readers know of folks involved in this unique work adventure, send me a note with their names. 

Time to get on with the day.  More gathering to do and more battles with bees.  

Oh yes, this just in . . . . 


Just received permission from Cindy Wooden, family friend, Sandpoint High grad and Vatican journalist for Catholic News Service, to post this photo of her visiting with Pope Francis on their flight back from Brazil.  Photo by Paul Haring, CNS.  We're always proud when we see Cindy at work. 


No comments: