Wednesday, August 07, 2013

1 Zucchini, 2 Zucchini, 3 Zucchini, More . . . Plum Good Year



Just wanted to prove that it's a fine zuke year.  And, what you see ain't the half of it.  

Five zukes went to Boise.  I don't think they came back.  Two zukes went to Montana. 

A few zukes got baked for dinner one night.

Only two zukes were needed to make all that zuke bread.  

And, that still ain't the half of it.  

I discovered last night while inspecting the giant green monsters under the giant green and sharp zucchini leaves that I had, indeed, planted THREE zuke plants and maybe even a fourth on the other side of the manure-pile garden.

Plus, there are three more plucked zukes sitting just inside the garage door.

If you want a zuke and don't want anyone to know that you want a zuke, 'cept me, give me a call.  I promise not to broadcast who the zukeless people are around the area. 

I'm thinking of baking more zuke bread, but I've gotta go back to town to get more flour and soda and baking powder.  That may just happen cuz that bread is pretty good stuff.

As for the plums, they're loading down the limbs of an ornamental plum tree.  

For a long time, it was just a fruitless tree next to the barnyard fence which took on a strange shape every spring.  

Trees of any kind taste good to hungry horses with nothing to do besides eat fences and trees.  I've turned on the electric fence a time or two in an effort to save the plum tree's figure.

Well, now that the tree is bearing fruit, the electric fence does nothing to stop horses from reaching up toward that heavily laden limb, sticking clear out into the barnyard.  And, occasionally, I see horses munching on a not-yet ripe plum.

I'm worrying about the day when something starts sprouting out of Lefty or Lily's back and growing toward the sky, cuz they eat fruit AND pit. 

Those plums make THE best plum jelly, so I'm figuring on having quite a supply this winter, if I can keep up with the plums as they ripen, that is. 

Somehow it seems much easier to give away plum products than zuke bread, muffins, etc.  
When I offered a loaf of fresh zucchini bread to Willie yesterday, he respectfully declined, reminding me that several Lovestead zukes also went to his house and that Debbie had gone on a zuke baking binge. 

We should have a fair-sized gathering this weekend, and maybe I could even take the zukes to Mother's Celebration of Life and give 'em away as door prizes.  I think she'd get a kick out of that, especially the veggie aspect.

After all a woman, who during her final weeks here on Earth taught us to bless ourselves with the Father, the Son and the "Holy Carrot," could surely appreciate a little zucchini humor. 

Happy Wednesday.  If you call for your zukes and I'm outside, I'll be sure to get back to you. 

No comments: