Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wet Wednesday and "Wild" Horse



Gail gave me a heads up that Tim would be coming to trim Mojavee's feet.   Tim does her horses.  He's a farrier from Priest River, and I've met him once before.

"Make sure he knows where the halter is," Gail said.  "Tim can do the rest."  

Well, Tim showed up late yesterday afternoon with his friend Greg.  Greg is learning to be a farrier.  Sez fuel-truck driving has been too hard on his back, so he's gonna shoe horses.

Tim wondered about the wisdom of that career decision.

I hurried to the barn to get Mojavee's halter, with Greg telling me all about his five horses.  

Carrying his rasp and other tools, Tim moved on to the barnyard, seemingly unconcerned about a halter.

Turns out Tim didn't need the halter.  I figure the situation is a combination of two things, a good farrier and a great horse. 

I'll bet Mojavee knows Tim well enough that he also knows the drill, so there's no standing and holding----just a little petting from the apprentice.  

I was pretty amazed as this was the first time I've seen a horse trimmed, unplugged, so to speak. 

I told Gail yesterday that Mojavee is about as mellow a guy as I've ever seen.  Just rolls with the punches and eats whatever you put near his mouth.  

~~~
In other news, we do have rain today, but it's a pleasant rain.  In fact, I embraced it while walking down North Kootenai Road this morning.  Kinda felt like one of those fans on hot summer days that sprays folks with refreshing water. 

It's good to have a weather change cuz I've got some indoor stuff to do, like make more salsa. Yesterday's little teaser batch turned out great.  

So, today I'm gonna get really serious and make enough to save over the winter. 

The man I can't understand from around the corner brought Bill a gumbo apron last night. He appreciated the use of our oven for his beer-batter bread and figured Bill could wear the "recipe" on his colorful cook's apron. 

In return, I gave Mike, the chef, some more tomatoes cuz he said he made salsa instead of sauce yesterday and still wanted to make sauce. 

So, he and his son walked off happily with their bagful of red lovelies. 

Speaking of lovely stuff, the horses here are really appreciating the corn stalks that arrived last night. 

I'm very appreciative of Joanne and Tom who offer up their stalks each year for our herd. Joanne gets some Lovestead pumpkins and the two of us enjoy some visiting while throwing stalks in the back of the pickup.

When I arrived home, the horses were more than happy to sample.  They'll have many nice treats for several days. 

I love the good cheer and neighborhood spirit  that stuff from the garden inspires. Sure does prove that there's a whole more to gardening than just good eats.  

Thanks, Joanne, and happy Wednesday to all.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is Greg is not the apprentice's name!

Sincerely "Greg's" daughter in-law.