Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Logomachy and Lincoln


If memory serves me correctly, the man with the top hat in the middle delivered papers for Nancy Miller.  As far as I know, he never read his school assignments by candlelight or lived in a log cabin in Kentucky.

He HAS traveled the world and written a book about his adventures.  In fact, Bill has a signed copy. 

As far as the paper delivering, I think he delivered them for several people around town, but at that time during his youth, it was most important to him that Nancy read a certain word in the local paper. 

In fact, if she found that word, that particular student would receive an "A" in her English class. 

So, this young man---well endowed with a great big "enterprising" gene---set about on a course to earn that "A."  And, it wasn't by diagramming sentences.

No, at that time back in the 1980s, he knew that I was writing a monthly column for the local newspaper. 

And, since he had a pretty good relationship with me cuz my husband was his Boy Scout leader, he came to me one day and asked if I could possibly use the word "logomachy" in my column. 

He told me that he had heard his English teacher, Nancy Miller,  kinda "diss" that word---which appeared on a Greek Word Clues lesson----suggesting something to the effect that her students would probably never see that word used.

Well, that claim emboldened this young man to ask, "If I can find it in use, will you give me an 'A'?" 

Nancy felt pretty confident that such a discovery would never happen, so she agreed to his proposal. 

His timing was good because when he came to me with the request, I actually had a column coming up.  I felt a little ambivalent about playing a trick on Nancy, who happened to be my colleague, but this was a good one---and it had a little educational flavor to it.

After all, maybe a whole bunch of other folks would spot the word in the paper and even go to the dictionary to learn that it means a dispute about words. 

Yeah, that seemed rational to me, and surely Nancy would be impressed when all was said and done in the name of learning.

So, I obliged and found a way to insert "logomachy" into my upcoming column.  When it appeared in that addition of "Love Notes," Nancy's student wasted no time pointing out the usage to her.  He received an "A," maybe a bit begrudgingly, but a deal was a deal.

And, so I saw his photo on Facebook yesterday-----the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's revered "Gettysburg Address."  This young man has taken all learning seriously and, in this case, his stature and his geographically opportunistic employment as a U.S. Park Ranger at the Washington Mall.

Yes, Adam Cochran is a president---well, maybe a past president of the Sandpoint High School student body, but a president. 

And, yes, Adam is tall and slender, about 6-5 or so. Looks like he can grow a beard too. And, yes, Adam remains the enterprising and fun-loving young man he was as a student at our high school.

I have no doubt that Adam, dressed as "Honest Abe"  in the Instagram photo, turned an eye or two yesterday. 

I do wonder if he stood before the masses at the mall and delivered a poignant speech to be remembered forever in history.

And, most of all, if he did, I wonder if he used "logomachy." 

Hat's off to Adam.  You make a great Abe Lincoln, and I'm sure even Nancy Miller is as proud of you as all your other fans here in Sandpoint.


1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

I don't know.. Marianne, it seems
logomachy is practiced in Washington D.C. quite a bit..

and spell check doesn't like this word..