Thursday, January 23, 2014

Just Thursday This and That


Well, it's lookin' like a blah Thursday out there, but maybe the sun will show up later today.   Tom Sherry told us last night that we might see some precipitation early next week.  

By that time, the earth around here and the cars will need a good wash.

Actually, my car could use that right now, but I think I'll wait and let people write stuff on the dirty windows before taking it in for a bath. 

Today's highlights involve volunteering at Farmin-Stidwell for my sister, saying silent prayers for the Bulldogs against Lakeland tonight and gearing up for the ZAGS game (same time as the SHS game). 

The ZAGS will be back to a full roster tonight with Gary Bell, Jr.'s return from a broken hand.  Let's hope that healed hand can still manage a few of his vintage 3-pointers.  The ZAGS have tough games from here on out, so it will be good to have them at full speed.

Yesterday I did something I've never done before----went to a movie all by myself.  Four other people joined me in the theater. 

It was a grey afternoon, and I'd been cold to the bone most of the day, so I checked to see if there were afternoon matinees.  Sure enough, a choice between Saving Mr. Banks and Lone Survivor.

Saving Mr. Banks was well worth the effort and the $6.  Heck, I paid more for popcorn and a bottle of water than I did for the movie, but I felt like doing the full-meal deal.

Prior to the movie, I did not know the whole story behind it----just that Tom Hanks starred. So it was a wonderful experience from beginning to end, learning the story behind Disney's version of the much beloved Mary Poppins

Throughout the movie, there was no nodding off, as often happens in theaters when I'm with my daughter, who pokes me in the side throughout the show, asking, "Mom, are you awake???"

I watched this one solo, stayed wide awake and enjoyed every minute. 

Over the past several days, I've also spent hours plucking on my banjo.  The instrument has been nice enough to stay in tune, and I've recently discovered while reviewing those original "self teaching" books that some of the stuff, which seemed pretty Greek BEFORE lessons, now makes sense AFTER LESSONS.

I've even found a few sets of music sheets that clearly show which strings and frets to pluck and when to pluck 'em. 

So, Bill has listened to melodies on banjo of several well-known songs this week.  

Never mind that his guessing "Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley" really was "Red River Valley."  

Bill likes to play mind tricks on me when I'm plucking my strings upstairs.  

Then, he laughs and makes the correct guess of the string of notes he just heard wafting through the air from above. 

Anyway, my finger tips are getting calloused, and I'm deriving some personal satisfaction, albeit pretty basic stuff.   It doesn't take much to get me excited.

So, on this blah Thursday, banjo playing, chasing dogs and heading to the school lead the "to do" list.  

Plus, we've got just eight more days to mark off the calendar for January and 62 more before Ireland.  Annie started the countdown yesterday, so we could find one more way to deal with this never-ending first month of the year. 

Happy Thursday.  GO BULLDOGS!  GO ZAGS!!!

1 comment:

Kathy Cooney Dobbs said...

I also enjoyed movie , "Saving Mr. Banks" , & like you didn't know much about the making of the musical 'Mary Poppins' - a movie I own on DVD & have watched several times over the years. Nor did I know much about author P.L. Travers, but after seeing 'Saving Mr.Banks' I was prompted to learn more