Saturday, January 04, 2014

Saturday Slight


Bright jewels in the clear morning sky.  Crisp and slightly slippery walk to the barn. Doggies bounding around, vying over the coffee can.  A two-paper day!

What a start to this Saturday!  I'm looking out the east window at a cloudless sky and thinking about what a great day yesterday was and how today could be the same.

Finally, I've reached a much-welcome point in life where I'm learning to go with the flow of the day rather than being locked into any particular schedule other than feeding animals. 

Bill did manage to tune my banjo yesterday, close enough anyway that "I'll Fly Away" actually sounded like the same song I was practicing on a regular basis last spring. 

The banjo stayed on the dining room table all day, and every time I came in from an outdoor project, I'd pick it up and pluck.  The notes and what to do with my fumbly fingers do seem to be coming back after a several months' lay-off. 

I tried "Cripple Creek" too-----the very slow version, of course, and it was somewhat recognizable. 

Meanwhile, over in Montana, Ivan Doig's bartender's son did not do so well in the annual fishing derby, thanks to a domino effect situation, which ended with a fly hook attached to his body and a trip to the doctor to remove the hook.  

The young man thought his dad had retrieved him from Arizona only to compete in the fishing derby but happily found out that Dad was taking on the full-time father role and enrolling him in school the following Monday.  

So, life as the son of a bartender is picking up for the young man who spent his early years being bullied by cousins. 

Besides Doig and the banjo, I really enjoyed some quality time with my horses.  With almost a springlike feel to the air and plenty of open space to tie them to any ol' fence, I gave both Lefty and Lily a good brush down and a haircut. 

Neither could get enough of my attention, and I had to shoo Lefty off several times as he nuzzled my hair while I brushed Lily.  It wasn't the nuzzling that bothered me; it was the direct line where I stood, lest Lily would have enough of Lefty's up close and personal and let loose with a hoof.

For enquiring minds who may wonder about a "two-paper day," we've dealt with erratic paper delivery lately, but we've now gone two days in a row with papers in both boxes. That means two days in a row without noise pollution coming from my mouth.  

Twould be nice to be back on a regular schedule with my favorite time of the day. 

Yesterday's events set in stone another exciting thought----what it's gonna be like for this farm girl who gets to see Paree!  From the air, at least!

Annie, our phenomenal trip planner, has booked our tickets for Ireland for late March/early April, and we've signed on the dotted line with the credit card.  

We'll be flying from Spokane to Seattle to Paris and then to Dublin when we go and landing in Amsterdam for the return trip.  Just airport visits, but what the heck! We can say we've been there.  Plus, Annie says Amsterdam has a nice airport. 

We're also part-way through booking our housing accommodations and will stay at a lovely house in Killarney for four nights. 

Lots to do before then, but the anticipation is gonna make for some great days ahead.

Time for banjo plucking and to continue looking forward to another event today:  the ZAGS game at 5.  GO ZAGS!

Have a great Saturday.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are in the process of booking flights for our trip to Italy in April/May. It will be Amsterdam coming home and either Amsterdam or Paris going. Too bad we can't cross paths there. Wouldn't that be funny?
Janet

Marianne Love said...

Yes, that is too bad. Sounds like some great times ahead for all of us. Have a great day.

Patsy said...

I remember the airport in Amsterdam very well...even back in the 60's it was a wonderful airport. I am very envious of all the trips that you get to take.