Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow, Cold and Banjo News


It's not really a storm, but by this winter's standards, the two or so inches of snow we've received overnight certainly merits constantly streaming banners and weather broadcasters interrupting regularly scheduled programming to let us know that white stuff will be falling from the sky in late January in the Northwest.

What about this seems like it's not really "breaking news"?  Well, maybe the fact that we haven't had much snow might justify the concerns.

When my brother told me yesterday that a few inches of snow had fallen in New Orleans, that was news.

For us, it's about time.  

I don't hate ALL snow.  I just hate endless, deep snow.  So, this little drop is quite welcome, especially because they say it's supposed to turn to rain by noon.  As warm as it felt during my morning walk, that won't be a surprise.

For now, the fresh, white coating is pretty, and it doesn't look like too much shoveling or plowing will be necessary. 

That's okay with me cuz I've got the "code in my node."  I kinda figured during those recent sessions of volunteering at the school when I heard some rather steady slurping that I might succumb to the germs, even if I did wash my hands before leaving the school. 

So far, this cold seems a bit like the snowstorm, just enough to keep me busy blowing but not enough to take more than the usual Airborne tablets.  Hope it doesn't last long.

Pete Seeger's death yesterday certainly took a lot of us back to the days of "Hootenanny" and the great folk music movement of the '60s and '70s.  I remember, while working during my college days at the University of Idaho Radio TV center, borrowing albums featuring Seegar and Joan Baez and listening to them by the hours.  

Loved them both, along with Glen Yarborough, Simon and Garfunkel,  Peter, Paul and Mary, etc.  

One time, years later, I did get to go listen to Joan Baez in concert with my kids in Boise. 

I'm still wishing before she gets too old that The Festival at Sandpoint could sign her just once.  Somebody, please tell Dyno!!!!!

Anyway, Joan puts on a great show, even with the few moments of propaganda----which I don't care for regardless of the cause.

I just like the music.  

Yesterday, I was thrilled to see the photo of Pete Seeger with a well-used banjo. The picture noted that he was playing "When the Saints Come Marchin' In."

That pleased me even more cuz, as mentioned a few days ago,  I've found sheet music with that song and oodles of other old-time favorites, and, for the past week, I've been happily plucking away.  

Bill no longer hollers upstairs,  guessing the wrong song title on purpose. With my growing library of books on how to teach myself the banjo, I'm learning and trying to apply little tidbits every day.

I'm sure any listener will say, "Marianne, you are NO Pete Seeger," and I'll say back to them, "I know that, but there's nothing wrong with allowing a great musician like Seeger to inspire us onward."

I heard a clip on NPR radio yesterday from a Terri Gross 1985 interview with Pete Seeger where he said his ongoing mission was to inspire people to enjoy singing together.  

Not a bad idea, but inspiring people who can't sing to play the banjo ain't bad either. 

Speaking of playing the banjo, I've got to add a little aside.  Many of our family members have inherited the gene that makes us subconsciously and ferociously work on our tongues while performing intricate feats of dexterity.  In my case, that ranges from taking pictures to peeling potatoes to plucking banjo strings. 

Well, after using my cell phone video camera one day to film my plucking to see how a said song sounds, the camera caught my tongue too. Not a pretty sight.

So, if I ever do perform in public, it will have to be with a muzzle or maybe one of those weird full-head-cover hats which those Grammy guys were wearing the other night.  

I told Bill of my tongue chewing, banjo plucking dilemma.  

"Well, why don't you sing while playing?" he suggested. 

Sometimes Bill imparts wisdom, sometimes not. 

Regardless of how it looks or sounds, I'm having fun with my banjo, thanks to inspiration from all those folk music greats. 

Guess that's enough drivel for this snowy morning.  

Lookin' like a busy day ahead, with an editing job coming my way and a trip to open up their house so the repairman can fix my sisters' Internet.  All that is followed by another of those dreaded "late-night" ZAGS games. 

Happy Wednesday.  GO ZAGS! 

No comments: