Friday, February 28, 2014

How Sweet . . . .

How 'bout those ZAGS!! Same night, both men's and women's teams clinch the West Coast Championships---the men against Pacific and the women vs. St. Mary's 

A lot of pride and joy for the Inland Northwest.  Congrats, ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!










Bill asked me this morning if I had the good sleep because of a Gonzaga win.  Yes, of course, blissful even.  I like nights when I sleep, so this one especially a good one.

Yesterday was a good day, and there was a touch of spring in the air.  We're supposed to be dealing with bitter cold this weekend, along with snow and wind.  Must be that March "lion" stuff.

Yesterday, however, turned out to be a snow-melt day, even though there's a lot left on the ground.  I saw lots of little lakes forming where snow edges were melting away.

And, the air felt like spring, so much so that I spent some nice time grooming my horses. Although it's not coming off in big wads, their winter hair is beginning to loosen up. 

Both Lily and Lefty stood quietly while I snipped off the long hair sticking up in their bridle paths and some of their long whiskers.  

Both were very happy that they had behaved because they each enjoyed a couple of handfuls of grain when the grooming project ended. 

Todd was happy too.  He got to go for a walk with me to visit Geneva and her granddaughter and great-grandson next door.  He now wears a bright orange doggie coat, which keeps him from licking that stubborn rump wound.

By the way, thanks to whoever gave me the suggestion to get some A and D ointment.  I did so and administered it only to have Todd lick it off. 

So, the coat is helping and the wound is drying up. 

Yesterday I talked about how things were getting really Irish around here.  Well, they continue to do so, cuz I copied off the tabs for "The Minstrel Boy" and "O Danny Boy" aka "Londonderry Air."  

Even with the tabs, parts of both songs are difficult melodies to pluck because of their high notes.  Seems the higher the fret number, the harder it is to get a good pure note. Nonetheless, at least three quarters of each song resembles something people may have heard.

Practice should improved the outcome.

So, I did my Irish banjo tunes, then we had a Mexican dish (yummy chicken enchiladas) prepared at Miller's Country Store and found little projects while waiting for the game to start.

About ten minutes before tip-off, the phone rang.  It was my sister Laurie.

"Don't hide when the Schwan's man comes," she said. (There's a story behind that).  "You're gonna want to meet this Schwan's man."  

The Schwan's truck stops at my sisters' before it comes here, so they can warn me ahead of time.  And, lately, Schwan's deliveries have conflicted a bit with watching the ZAGS. So, I hide upstairs and watch the game while Bill does the transactions.

Anyway, sure enough, the Irish brogue came out loud and strong as Brian, the newest of Schwan's men, walked through the door.  He had his manager with him, so he pretty much tended to business.

Still, we learned that he had grown up in a little village near Belfast and had come to the United States in the late '90s.  He was impressed to see the book on Ireland that Annie had created for me three years ago. 

So, we'll have some fun times ahead, comparing Irish-isms. 

Debbie's here with the pups, so I'm outa here.

Happy Friday.  


No comments: