Thursday, March 13, 2014

Robin Hood on Lovestead

Two days ago at precisely 12:49 p.m., I saw my first robin for 2014 alongside Selle Road.

I was driving home from finishing an errand or two in town.  Upon seeing the bird, I looked at the clock and noted the event in my mind.

A few minutes later, I let the dogs out of the run, and we started our usual trip down the lane toward the hay field. 

The next sight I saw was something to behold and definitely something I'd never seen before. 

At approximately 1 p.m. March 11, 2014, the a large band of robins arrived at the Lovestead.  Somewhere between 50-75 birds swooped down for a landing in the second pasture and then scattered about.

Soon, they all lifted off again and found spots in the spruce-tree row that separates our place from the Meserve Preserve.

I have a feeling there was a meeting of the minds in those tree limbs among the birds. While looking at an imaginary grid, the birds probalby received their assigned areas on the two farms. 

By yesterday morning, it was apparent that each robin knew its place because as Debbie and I visited, we spotted some birds with big red chests skittering about in the west lawn along the board fenceline.

Yes, every year, a certain group of robins patrols that fenceline, often sitting atop the boards, eyeing the garden.  

I believe that this particular group has the most daunting of robin-watch duty:  keep track of the strawberry patch and let the rest of us know when the berries are on.

Never mind that the old goat who keeps putting that netting down will have her adversarial strategies.  If there's a berry to be had, we'll pluck it, or at least take a big bite out of it just to make her mad.

The strawberry watch is, indeed, important duty, and I'm guessing that only the shrewdest of the yearly residents get the nod to sit on the board fence. 

One bird from this year's summer visitors got a little mixed up on where it was supposed to patrol, and that mistake could have turned fatal.

When I went out to the shop last night to feed Festus, I saw and heard a flutter.  Festus, the cat who doesn't mind a bird side dish with his Meow Mix, had not yet come into the shop via the door which is propped up in the daytime.

But the robin had, and when a robin gets inside an enclosure, its built-in GPS goes bonkers. 

This bird was flying back and forth above the rafters into corners, out of corners and further into remote dark spots high above.  

As it fluttered frantically back and forth, I opened the shop door as far up as it would go. The robin remained in a frenzied state for a minute or two.  

I thought I was going to have to get a broom to help steer it out that door, but finally it saw the daylight and flew off to the north lawn.  

I don't know what prompted that bird to come into the shop looking for worms, and I don't know how long it spent in the shop flying from one dead-end spot to another.  

No doubt, though, it was a happy camper when it finally eyed the open spaces of the great outdoors and put those wings in gear.

And, I'm betting the bird should appreciate the opportunity to live another day rather than ending up as a pile of feathers next to Festus' dinner plate. 

I noticed the first day that we moved here eight years ago that this place is a bigtime robin haven.  Once they arrive each spring, there's steady ground movement virtually throughout our huge yard as the birds skitter about looking for the next big fat worm. 

Glad to see them back and feeling fortunate to have been there to greet them when they first arrived the other day from wherever they spend the winter.  It was a welcome sight. 

We'll be happy to host them through another year, which brings to mind the question of how many of those birds have been regulars who have come to know us and all our habits.

Could be scary what they know about us. 

Happy Thursday. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday and she told me a story that I want to share with you. Please believe me, and keep in mind, that my doctor is the most kind, compassionate, caring doctor I have ever met. She is totally invested in my health, not just my health, but also my opinion and own investment in my health management. I must add that we are both cat owners too, so her story did not surprise me at all. One more thing I must add before I begin is that her office is in the Spokane Valley right across the street from Valley Hospital and she does practice at the hospital as well.

On several of her trips over to the hospital, she noticed a couple of kittens hiding in the bushes, but they would not allow her near them. She contacted one of the pet agencies in town and coordinated placing traps outside the hospital in hopes of catching and saving the kittens. She did catch one of the kittens and also the mother cat, which she didn’t know was present, however the other kitten eluded her. The mother and captured kitten were spayed and are currently safe while the quest to capture the other kitten continues. The felines are obviously feral which makes their eventual adoption doubtful, and we all know what that means in the end!

The doctor told me on my way out that if I knew anyone who could use some barn cats I should be sure to let them know. I remembered that you had recently lost Jonas and I of course thought of you! Tho I know that Jonas can’t be replaced, and I know it’s a long way to come to rescue 3 cats, and I certainly can’t blame you if didn’t want to take that journey on, but what is there to lose by just providing you the information and letting you and Foster decide?

My doctor’s name is Dr. Rita Snow at Spokane Valley Internists, the phone number there is 509 921 6611.

Happy Friday!
P.S. No plagarism was used in any part of this email! :O)

Anonymous said...

You could name them: Rx (Rex) Doc and Nurse Betty!