Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Horses and More . . . . Wednesday


This young gal is a little on the shy side, so I was lucky to capture this shot of our neighborhood Percheron baby while walking by her pasture this morning.

I thought I was going to get some really cool close-ups because she was lying down below the tree.  She wasted no time getting up, stretching and then heading for Mom and breakfast. 

It's always fun to see her and her mom in the field except when I'm riding Lefty.  

I don't ride him past when they're in the field because Percherons make loud thumping noises when they move, and I'd just as soon have Lefty go straight down the road rather than sideways, should those thumping noises scare him. 

Age plus awareness the horse accidents and injuries around the area this spring has heightened my sense of caution, no matter how sweet the horse. 

I rode Lefty again yesterday.  He's gotten back into slow mode for me after spending some time doing a lot of trotting and cantering at the arena in Spokane.  

Young people like to trot and canter while old people learn over the years to enjoy a good flat-footed walk. 

Lefty and I went into our woods yesterday but didn't stay long cuz it was humid and the mosquitoes were hungry and not too particular about ravenously sucking horse and human blood. 

So, we'll wait until they settle down and just ride where the sun is shining and the mosquitoes aren't hanging out. 

He's such a nice little guy and definitely a good friend who appreciates the attention of humans and the guard dogs. 

In the meantime, Lily gets to go to pasture for a few hours each day.  She's happy to just keep her nose in the grass and chow down.  

Both horses are in great need of having their shoes changed, so I'll have to call John and get that done this week.

Speaking of horses, I received a nice note from Nikki, the information officer at Scoil Mhuire in Buncrana, Ireland, where I left Mother's Western pen-and-ink cards and some books.  

She wanted me to know that the school is purchasing the convent next door and plans to turn it into classrooms and a "quiet place" for reading and studying.  Once that's in place, Mother's work will stay in the convent.  

Pretty neat, considering the fact that she was essentially reared by nuns from fourth grade through her college graduation.  

In other news, the garden and grass are growing nicely.  We've eaten lettuce from the garden and have enjoyed several batches of fresh asparagus.  

It looks like most of our fruit trees, bushes and plants are loaded this year, so we'll be enjoying more jellies, cobblers and ice cream sundaes.

I love the taste of summer.  

Not much else of excitement happening here, so I'll just wish everyone a wonderful Wednesday. 

No comments: