Saturday, June 21, 2014

Saturday Slight







Longest day of the year and what a great day for the official beginning of summer!  

Last night in downtown Sandpoint, someone said the butt-bumping foot traffic inside and outside of businesses for ArtWalk was probably enhanced by the lovely weather. 

People were happy to be out on the streets with comfortable evening temperatures and festive scenes virtually everywhere. 

A couple of folks told me they thought last night was the best opening for ArtWalk ever. 

Bill and I took in a couple of venues, including the POAC gallery where Bill was quite pleased when folks would walk up to him and tell them how much they enjoyed his photography.

Never mind that it was Willie's aka William Love III. 

And, speaking of people confusing faces with names, I dug myself into some deep doo-doo while visiting with a young man whom I've known for years as Eddie.

"Eddie" delivers beverages to businesses around town.  I usually see him at Yoke's and almost always say hi.

Well, last night he showed up at the POAC gallery, and we struck up a conversation.  I asked him where his sister was these days and if she was still into horses.

She's a big-time nurse in South Dakota, he told me, adding that school had gotten in the way of her horse interests but that she's been riding more lately.

I asked if she had a married name (for Facebook purposes) or if she still went by her maiden name.  Somehow the name "Deubel" entered the conversation.

A lightbulb flashed on in my brain.  Suddenly, I was vaguely aware that maybe I'd been talking to the wrong person about the wrong sister who loved horses. 

I quickly learned that this young man's name was Deubel, where I thought he was a Bandelin.  

"Well, Eddie Bandelin delivers beverages for Bill Jones Distributors," I said.

"That's what I do," he said, adding he'd never heard of Eddie Bandelin.

Well, we eventually sorted it all out.  He was a Deubel. And, he IS the same person I always say hi to at Yokes. I also learned that Eddie Bandelin does not work for Bill Jones Distributors.

Ironically, this young man's sister does love horses.  And, we did know her as a 4-H'er, just like Fran, who was Eddie Bandelin's sister.

I realized right then and there the embarrassing hazards of meeting way too many high school kids over the years and running into a problem or two when I THINK I know who they are.

Anyway, Mr. Deubel knows that he might just get called "Eddie" a time or two whenever he sees senile Ol' Lady Love walking by. 

Once we knew who we both were, the conversation took some new turns.  He was most gracious about my misnomer-itis. 

It was a fun evening last night, looking at local art, listening to the Garage Geezer Band at POAC Gallery and  topped off by dinner at MickDuffs.  

Today's plans include heading back up to Moose Valley at Naples to pick up my new lawnmower.  The day before yesterday, I went with my sister and sister-in-law and took the photos above. 

After snapping a shot of the funky lawnmower, I got to thinking how nice that would look in my yard and how fitting it would be since I'm known to have a lot of lawnmowers and to spend a lot of time using them.

So, I told Bill this could be his birthday gift to me.  I'm still deciding where to leave it in the lawn as if it up and died there and grew those flowers. 

Our trip through Moose Valley allowed plenty of time to take some upclose and personals of the multitude of beautiful plants at the Naples greenhouses. 

Mrs. Doe and her baby created a beautiful sight while racing through Eva Whitehead's field the other day when I returned from Naples.

Guess that's all for this first day of summer.  Time to enjoy the longest day of 2014.

Happy Saturday.   

No comments: