Friday, July 18, 2014

Where There's Smoke . . . Still Beauty













Visiting cows have gone back to their pasture.  Fishermen have come home from the river. And, happily, the temperature has gone down.

Nice to have all of the above where they belong, and I’m hoping the temperature, especially, will stay put in a lower zone for a while.

We lived through smoke-filled skies yesterday, and we were fortunate that the smoke was NOT coming from our back yards, like it is for so many in Central Washington.

Smoke-filled skies are surely a nuisance in the middle of the summer.  For photographers, it cuts down on scenic shots except for those morning and evening suns.
 
How eerily beautiful they’ve been the past couple of days!

In between pretty suns, I’ve spent my time admiring the glorious scenes in our garden, flower beds and the yard (with the four-legged playmates).

I ate every bite of those veggies (in that top photo), fresh from the garden soil last night.  

Of course, I washed ‘em up before cutting them up and dumping them into a bowl of crisp, cold garden lettuce.  Once swimming in Italian dressing, the whole salad was devoured to the last tasty bite.

Next time I make up a salad, I have small zucchinis to chop up for the mix, and it won’t be long before a garden pepper can add to the flavor.

Even though the heat has sapped the energy of most of my pansy blossoms, several flowers, including one of the succulents, are putting out some colorful and pleasing shows.

And, in the front yard, with a little cooler evening, Festus and Foster could muster up the energy to enjoy a little friendly canine, feline sparring.
 
Big threats but no punches or bites, just dirty looks followed by moments of peace.

I wish it were that way in the world.  Many friends and family members of my former teaching colleague Mike were greatly relieved to see his post on Facebook yesterday, assuring everyone he was okay after leaving this area  bound for his present home in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

My first thought after hearing of the airliner shootdown was that this was just about the time Mike would be heading home.

So, Mike’s Facebook post (below) yesterday morning was very welcome to all who know him:

 I'm flying through Asia on my way to Kuala Lumpur. I'm checking in to reassure all who knew I was flying home today. My last leg is Taipei to KL in 7 hours. I'm praying for all the Flight 17 passengers, crew, and families. I pray also to be home safe to Monica soon.

Call me stupid, but I can’t understand the need for all the senseless killing and hatred that goes on in this world.
 
And, with that in mind, I so appreciate a life where the beauty of growing gardens, blooming flowers and adorable animals is the rule rather than the exception.
 
We are so blessed.

Every Friday my friend from Jerusalem posts a brief lesson followed by “Shabbat Shalom.”  Many of her friends respond, sending wishes for peace her way.


On this morning, when so much horrific upheaval is occurring in this world, I’ll take a cue from my friend Barbara and send out a heartfelt wish for “Shabbat Shalom” to all whose ability to simply smell the flowers and embrace the beauty is constantly disrupted by the ugliness of war. 

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments: