Saturday, August 23, 2014

Saturday Slight . . . .

Sneek Peek:  on this lovely Saturday morning at the Lovestead, the marigolds are coming on strong and adding a splash of brightness to the overall scene.

Whether it's winter, spring, summer or fall or raining, snowing or sunny, Kea is at work.  This morning she was engaged in her usual perimeter vigilance, at this point, keeping a close eye on Lefty in the first pasture.  



Foster does his share of watching too.  His favorite perch is apparent by the smudges on the window.  From this vantage point, he can see all crows, squirrels and even humans wandering through the front yard.  

Yesterday, I engaged in an activity that could well have caused my mother to turn over in her grave.  Thanks to Bonnie Shields aka the Tennessee Mule Artist, I was summoned to the fairgrounds to paint a portrait. 

Of course, I needed to don the wig for inspiration!

 Never mind that my poor mother, the art major, tried for most of my childhood years, to teach me the basics of drawing only to fail miserably, I found no mercy from Bonnie or any of the other artists, involved in the 30-30-30 program at the fair: 30 artists, 30 pieces each, $30 each.

"Paint on!" Bonnie said as she put materials and a canvas on a table in the food booth.  My subject:  the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz.  This particular "witch" is also known as Becky Reynolds.  She's in second photo down from this one.

Bonnie said it was okay to take artistic license as I painted the image before me.  And, when it was ALL over, Becky said she was still my friend.  


Never mind that her witch persona has a nosebleed and toenail fungus.  Becky gave me a hug and promised to talk to me on future occasions.

If ya want to buy this "masterpiece," you can go to the fair today, walk inside the 30-30-30 booth and put a bid on the wonderful piece of art, which includes extras:  a framed photograph of a delightful little lamb in its Irish setting and a set of my first two books.  I'll be happy to autograph.

Thanks---I think---to Bonnie for gettin' me into this activity and a million thanks to Becky for her gracious understanding of my underdeveloped artistic talent.

 

After finishing my artistic assignment, I had the pleasure of visiting with these three lovely ladies, two of which are former students AND fine journalists.  

They're the two on the right:  Courtney and Erica.  Both served as co-editors of the Sandpoint High Cedar Post while seniors in 1992-93.

Twas great to see them and Courtney's friend and former University of Puget Sound roommate, now  from San Francisco.

Erica had the honor of wearing the colorful wig because yesterday was also her birthday. 

Becky did not have to hold this pose for two hours.  I just wanted a picture of her without another picture on the wall growing out of her head.  

Again, thank you, Becky, a very understanding friend!
Finally, Miss Annie is enjoying the last two days of her European adventure in Prague, Czech Republic.  She's been there before, but this time she's traveling with friends, and I'm hoping she rubbed off some good luck.

She'll be back in Seattle on Monday.

~~~~~

My day should be relatively quieter than those of the past week with yard work, garden picking and maybe even some painting, fences, that is!  


This evening I'll stop by the 1974 class reunion and say hi to former students who played such a part in Bill and my first year of marriage.  Several even attended our wedding, and that makes them very special. 



Happy Saturday. 




No comments: