Thursday, August 28, 2014

Seasonal Scenes and Such









No phonebooks along the roadside this morning.  That makes it a good day.

I read in the morning paper that my esophagous might quit blocking stomach acid from erupting as I get older AND that my tastebuds will lose their pinpoint accuracy in reminding me that I still don’t like liver.  

That was a downer.

I intend to continue hating liver and rice until the day I die.

Twas also a downer to learn that the Mariners lost 12-4 yesterday. 

Other than that, no real ups or downs today---just yet anyway.

After watering and painting fence for several hours yesterday, I decided that a sitting and driving break was in order. 

Bill was headed to the Moyie for his first angling experience there.  That’s where he likes to go in the fall.  So, when he came home to get his fishing gear, we met briefly in the kitchen and then went our separate ways. 

My route took me along some back roads and finally to HWY 2, headed toward Priest River.  I didn’t know just how far I’d drive because more painting and lawn mowing awaited me at home.

The Army Corps of Engineers swimming hole seemed like a nice turn-off, so I spent a few minutes in there and at Crystal Lake across the road. 

Cattails were looking a lot like corndogs yesterday at the marshy area along the north side of the highway. 

All was pretty, just as it is again this morning.  Seems redundant to keep pointing that camera lens toward Taylors’ field of cows, but images created by the morning sun make it irresistible.

Finally, the first picture, taken on the kitchen island, reveals that I made a stop at Miller’s Country Store yesterday to purchase a few goodies.

The place was bustling with customers loading up on the many delights available, and before I had a chance, a lady picked up the two remaining scones I had been eyeing and placed them in her pile. 

My heart sank as I was on my way to Colburn to see Swiss Miss aka Laura and thought she ought to try out those scones.

Bad news turned good, however, when one of the clerks told me she had pecan/maple scones fresh from the oven in the back room.  Soon she came with a box of four.

I, of course, had to sample one on the way to Colburn, with sticky hands from the warm icing and with tastebuds still intact enough to savor every bite.

Laura told me that was the best scone she’d ever eaten, so I told Laura to make sure two scones remained for Willie and Debbie when they got home, just in case! J

I also purchased two oatmeal cookies as seen in the photo with my garden tomatoes, bell pepper and cuke, picked just this morning.  Somehow, the cookies begged to be in the picture, forming a platform for the veggies.

I have a feeling at least one cookie will go with Bill when he heads of to work.  By the way, his news from the Moyie was good:  about 25 catch-and-release fish with a lunker at the end.

All in all, it’s turned out to be a good-news day, and I’ve left the phonebook rant behind.  Seems it’s a pretty pervasive irritant around the region.

So, this Thursday brings more fence painting and continued lawn mowing, along with whatever . . . .


Have a great day. 

No comments: