Wednesday, September 10, 2014

On the Subject of Reading . . . .

I want to talk about some writers, but before I do, let me mention a hero.  His name is Bill Short.  

As I type, he's probably flying or maybe he's already arrived in Washington, D.C.

Bill Short lives in Chicago, and he's a family member:  my mother's cousin.  This soon-to-be 90-year-old is a prince of a man and a proud veteran of World War II.

Today he is traveling with a group of Greatest Generation heroes on an honor flight, visiting the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C.

I'm told by his son Brendan (another fine man and author) that on the way back, the veterans will receive a bag of mail to read----all from proud relatives and friends who have extended their written pride and thanks.  

So, on this morning of the day when the Air Force wood winds come to perform at the Panida in Sandpoint, I'll be thinking about Bill and the wonderful experience he must be enjoying and which he so deserves.

I salute you, Bill.  

In other news, with my aforementioned refocusing efforts, I picked up my Ivan Doig book, (which has gathered a little dust) and this morning I returned to the bar in Montana where the kid from Arizona named Rusty has come to live with his dad who runs the bar.

I had to review a few pages because the last page I read some months ago was not well marked. When action began to sound unfamiliar, though, I knew I'd found it and felt totally at home within minutes as the story line once more hooked me in a pleasant, relaxing way.

That's what I love about Ivan Doig books.  Extended time in between reads does not ruin the story, nor do I have to start from scratch.

With fall coming and shorter days and less outside work to do, I can get back to spending more time reading. 

And, with that in mind, I'd like to announce this morning that I love Ammi Midstokke's columns in the health section of our morning paper.  She shares space with two or three other columnists who try to help us all stay healthy in mind and in body.

I don't always read those columns, unless their headline promises something dealing with my usual ailments---too much time in the bathroom or the itch.  

For some reason, I happened on to Ammi's most recent column, read it from start to finish and thought, "Gee, that had nothing to do with being a midwife!"  

Iz Ammi the local Midstokke who does midwifery?  

Since I haven't had a baby in almost 36 years, I'm not on a first-name basis with those who bring them into the world. 

Anyway, this morning's and the last column I read by Ammi delighted me from start to finish.  Maybe that's because she has a quirky sense of humor and views the world a bit like I do.  For example, I don't think Ammi and I would get much help if we were sitting together in a self help seminar.  

More likely, we'd get kicked out. 

So, if you're local, and you'd like a morning chuckle, check out Ammi's column.  If you're local and you're about to have a baby, I still don't know if she's the ONE who brings newborns into the world.  

So, ya'd better get that new telephone business directory from a couple of weeks ago and make sure.

Along with Ammi, I've latched on to a few other writers who like to share their unique perspective through blogging.

If you want to learn the vintage ways of the world, go check out Jenny Leo's blog.  The most recent edition talked about fall house cleaning, using an article from a few decades ago. 

It was all okay until it got to the part where the in-home slave aka homemaker was expected to go take a bath and freshen up from a day of in-house drudgery before hubby came home.  

After all, hubby doesn't like to open the door an unkempt wife in a spotlessly clean house when he's been toiling at the office all day.

I have a feeling Kaitlin Glines Barnhart's husband is proud of his wifey who finds ways to be a mamma and to go fly fishing, all at the same time. 

Kaitlin, who moved from this area to Boise a year or so ago, has been having so much fun with her mommy/angling multi-tasking that she has created a blog which takes readers to some great trout streams.  Most recently one of her friends brought along everything needed for baby and fly fishing along with a goat. 

Most recently, I've learned about Cynthia Tanner, who proudly claims "outlawry" as a connection.  

She's from Wisconsin, and she is a shirt-tail relative---more like the Duluth Trading Co. variety of shirt tail, though.   Ya know the kind that have that long tail cover up stuff that most people don't want to see.

Actually, I'm not suggesting I wouldn't want to see Cynthia----it's just that she's pretty removed as far as relatives, but she is a cousin to my brother's wife, so she definitely counts!

Cynthia wrote me a note last week and introduced me to her blog.  

So far, I had time to read about the U.S.Tennis Men's Finals and her personal experience during 9-11 where a micro managing manager/boss kept the troops in a room and unaware that something horrible had happened in the world for a couple of hours---until AFTER the corporate propaganda videos had been shown.  

I'm still reading several other of my longtime blogs each morning, but on this day of getting back to Ivan Doig and the kid in the bar, I thought it would be fun to introduce the new members of my personal blogroll. 

So, enjoy. Their links follow. 

Jenny Leo:  http://jenniferlamontleo.com/blog/
Kaitlin Glines-Barnhart:  http://mammaflybox.wordpress.com/
Cynthia Tanner:   http://northwoodslistener.wordpress.com/




  



No comments: