Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Color in the 'Hood

Taken from my bike
with my cell phone day before yesterday:
 Murray's field on Selle Road. 

The dogs and I went to Samuels Store to get lawnmower gas yesterday.  

On our way back, I drove up a road off from Colburn-Culver to admire the ever-increasing color in fields and on hillsides.

It’s coming, but I think we may hit the height this weekend.  

The good news is that we haven’t had a lot of rain to pound leaves to the ground.

So, if all conditions remain in synch, maybe we’ll have a grand finale of a grand state this weekend.

For now, the eye candy on shrubs, trees and ground foliage is still pretty exhilarating. 
I actually found the most striking colors right in my back yard while walking from the pickup to the house.  Newly painted white fences tend to enhance the scenes, just as they do for cute black-and-white buddies.

So, that was the extent of camera fun yesterday. 

Today I’ll continue the winter prep with a trip to my neighbor’s for some shavings.  I put away some hoses yesterday and did some tidying up in the barn.

This year the barn doesn’t have quite so much space because, after the mice devoured or destroyed numerous bales of hay in the usual storage place down the lane, I decided the hay could all go in the barn this year.

I may have a little more luck with mouse control.   We’ll see.

With hay taking up more space, I’ve had to go into efficiency mode on where stuff goes inside that barn.

If I can get the tack room floor fully fixed before the snow flies, I’ll have plenty of room. 

Whoever built the floor whenever they built it used razor thin plywood for the floor and then stuck a loose sheet of linoleum over the top.

Needless to say, the plywood has not stood up well, and when one stands on it, the plywood tends to crumble beneath one’s feet.

A week ago I tore about a third of the decadent floor out and filled it in with gravel.  Two thirds remains, and it’s a dirty and hard job, but I think I can complete the task in the next week or two.

This morning, after reading the paper, I’m reminded more and more that ZAGS season is approaching, and we ZAG Nuts are gonna get a little crazy again for a few months.

Can’t wait for the perfect antidote for our winter doldrums to get started.

On that note, I’ll get on the move and just wish everyone a Happy Wednesday AND to anyone of my classmates who happen to be reading, I’ll leave you with some news.
50th Year Sandpoint High Class of 1965 reunion is taking a bit of a twist from past reunions.  We’re old and mostly retired, so we’re not locked into using the weekend for the reunion.  

Plus, those of us here in town who are inundated with activities and company throughout the summer months figure September will be a much less hectic, more peaceful time to get together.

We have scheduled it for Thursday evening, Sept. 10 and Friday evening Sept. 11, 2015, tentatively at 41 South at the end of the Long Bridge for Thursday and Western Pleasure Guest Ranch for Friday evening’s banquet gathering.

We figured that folks could come to town, do their reunion stuff and then have a weekend to enjoy other aspects of the area.   So, mark it on your calendar.  More news coming next month.  If you’re a reader and know someone in the class, pass the word. 

Thanks.





This is taken off North Center Valley Road where Bert Wood keeps another herd of cows and calves. 



No comments: