Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday Slight

Tina Ward, owner of Weekends & Company

I met Tina Ward yesterday, and she helped me out. 

I was searching for a mandoline.  When my friend Florine told me I needed a mandoline, I first wondered where she'd get a silly idea like that. 

After all, I have hardly mastered even one song on the banjo; why should I add insult to injury by adding a mandolin to my musical instruments.

Well, context in what Florine was suggesting to me quickly unveiled itself in the next sentence when she mentioned my ongoing quest to bake a better potato-chip.

"Oh, so they have mandolines in the kitchen too," I thought.  Continuing to read Florine's note, I learned that these mandolines cut stuff, and yesterday I learned that they will even cut a thumb. 

Enter Tina.  She's the former gift buyer for Coldwater Creek.  Like so many former Coldwater Creek employees, she has a new job.  She now owns Weekends & Company on First and Cedar (used to be Ross Rexall Drug a year or two ago). 

I had made my way into town, starting at the north part at Wal-Mart, looking for a kitchen mandoline.  Two different clerks there tried to find one, but couldn't.  A third clerk said, "We don't have those," as the other clerk pointed toward Home Depot and said they might.

So, I went to Home Depot where I visited briefly with my friend Cathy (did you, Cathy, reread yesterday's Cindy Wooden blurb that her book is not yet available in the U.S.?) Yes, Cindy's book featuring Pope Francis will be available in the U.S. and when it is, that website link will feature it. 

On to the kitchen showroom at Home Depot where the lady told me they had no kitchen mandolines.  So, I moved on to Sears.  Again, no dice, but they do have allergen machines which I need to consider in the spring when my pollen itch starts again.

Finally, I walked into Tina's kitchen store.  She happened to have just what I was looking for on the shelf.  Had just gotten it in the day before.  So, I bought it and enjoyed visiting with her.  

She told me that her eventual plans for the store include some cooking clinics.  

Who knows, maybe she'll teach how to make a better potato chip. For now, I can say that meeting her was an enjoyable experience.  I wish her good luck at her new adventure. 

After purchasing my mandoline, I wasted no time after getting home, removing its plastic casing.  

Out came some homegrown potatoes.  I peeled them and then started getting acquainted with the mandoline.

I'm guessing the very first slice got my thumb. So, it was time out to get the blood flow stopped.  Then, back to fingering the mandoline with much more care. 

Eventually the four potatoes turned into pretty thin slices.  Debbie and Florine had told me that cold water (in Debbie's advice, even overnight) is a key to a better potato chip. 

So, I followed instructions and this morning pulled out a few slices, dried and seasoned them and stuck 'em in the microwave.

It took much less time that my second attempt, and I still have to work on the seasoning, but talk about crisp.  I've got that part down. 

So, I'll keep working at it and eventually my chips should be acceptable to the palate.  We all know Rome wasn't built in a day, so patience with potato chips should win out, I'm thinking. 

In other news, it's birthday season.  Three days of family celebrations again.  Sefo finished his yesterday, Jim today, and Annie tomorrow.

Annie flew to Disneyland to celebrate her 36th.  She'll top it off tomorrow with friends at a Sounders match at the LA Galaxy. 

It's a rainy day, and it sure was dark for my morning walk, but no cars on South Center Valley Road meant I had it all to myself. 

I'm still considering whether or not I'll use this rainy day to drive to Spokane to pick up Gonzaga season schedule posters.  That may happen, and if it doesn't today, it will for sure one day this week.

We'll probably watch a football game or two today and with good weather predicted for tomorrow, the horses will get another fall workout.

Besides football and upcoming basketball games, I'm noticing more and more that we've reached the "silly season."  Ya know that last couple of weeks before elections.  

I'm also noticing that if you don't want someone to win an election, you conjure up a lawsuit against them in your behalf.  I have a feeling that may backfire in our local election.  Plus, anyone who has their campaign sign hanging on the Hoot Owl will get my vote.   

I'm also thinking that a lot of the local folks who've put out the smaller election signs will get my vote because they aren't polluting the roadsides and irritating me with the reminder that some big moneybags with questionable agendas are supporting their cause. 

Plus, when people on motorcycles are stealing my friend Shawn's campaign signs, that makes me damn mad and more determined than ever to vote for her.  She's one classy politician, and I'll vote for her any day of the week. 

I've also decided I kinda like that cute guy who graduated from Cornell.  Now, if my dear friend George had won in the primary, I would have voted for George, but since George isn't on the ticket, I'll go with good looks, a big smile and Cornell any day. 

And since I once wrote a story about the Three Name Lounge in downtown Sandpoint, which is a town favorite, why not vote for that lady who has two names? 

I don't care what she put on her Facebook page.  I've known her for a long time and have always admired her common sense and intelligence, even if she does have two names. 

And, if ya read between the lines, you'll see that I'm an equal opportunity voter.  I give both of the main parties a chance by voting for folks on both sides of the aisle. 

Makes for a more interesting mix and maybe even some attempts to get along, if for no other reason than to honor the voters who'd like to see some positive results. 

Guess that's enough politics for now.  

Happy Saturday.  And, if ya need a mandoline, Tina can help you out!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great endorsements, Marianne! I'm in agreement with all you posted... hope other folks will figure them out and vote for them too!!!

Florine said...

wow, your mandolin looks more versatile than my hand-held one. Sorry about the thumb...I should have stressed how sharp the blade is. So next I hope you'll share your seasoning tips. By the way, you might want to try making veggie and fruit crisps, too. I haven't tried the microwave technique, but I've seen discussions online that seem do-able.

Anonymous said...

Laughed at your first introduction to the "mandolene". A number of years ago, when health concerns took me back to cooking all my own food with no preservatives, I too went searching for the same slicer. Hubby thought I was nuts. Been using it every since with great success with many chips, including apple. No microwave, totally all done in an oven. Good luck!