Thursday, October 30, 2014

Smile!


I had several reasons to smile yesterday, even though the first part of the day was pretty wet, and a lot of the "pretty" seen in this photo from over the weekend is blowing away in the wind. 

It has occurred to me that on rainy, wet days, I don't need to complain about the weather. After all, rain pants and a rain coat make it bearable, 'cept for those bitter cold and windy downpours which occasionally keep even the ducks hiding under cover.

Yesterday morning, in the daylight, I enjoyed a nice walk through the neighborhood, and on my way back, encountered the first in a string of folks (throughout the day) I knew when they were students at Sandpoint High School.  Some sat in my English class; some I simply knew in the hallways.  

First encounter took place at the beehives where Bridgette had unloaded a fork lift and was loading beehives onto a flat bed.  She stopped the operation for a minute or two and came over to talk.  

Bridgette told me the bees were doing the same thing the lucky folks around here get to do during this time of year.  They're headed south to California, where they have more sweet work to do.  Then, they'll move on to Wenatchee before returning to Sandpoint.

Definitely defines the "busy bee" cliche we've heard forever.  

I told Bridgette I was gonna miss the honey bees and would be happy to see them back in the spring.  

After doing some more outside yard work, I headed to town for some shopping and to drop off one more monthly payment at the Kootenai Post Office.  Had paid all bills and written a check for one which had not yet arrived.

It arrived in yesterday's mailbox at the same time the other payments went out with the mail carrier. I spent more time at the Kootenai Post Office than expected, first seeing my former student and Ponderette and friend, Carrie.  

While we were visiting, another lady walked from her car with a big smile and said, "Hi, do you remember me?"

"Which class?" I asked.  

Turns out she, too, was a former Ponderette, English student and a Brown from Kootenai. As she began to share details about her past identity when I knew her as a student, all came drifting back.

Yes, I did remember Kathy, and I don't think I've seen Kathy since she graduated from high school in 1973, met her husband and moved to New York where she spent 40 years.  She has since moved back, and she's very proud of her three children, one of which will attend Cornell as a veterinary student.

We enjoyed a great visit and went our separate ways, promising to keep in touch through Facebook. 

Next, I stopped at the gas station to fill up the Suburu.  Now, this would not be much of an event to note except that I saw two more people who make me smile.

It was a significant day for these sisters, Rachel and Stefanie, as yesterday was the first anniversary of their mother's passing.  I had been reminded of that earlier on Facebook, so I spent some time visiting with them and comparing notes on our similar losses.  

Then, we said good bye and returned to the gas pumps.  A minute or two later, Stefanie came over to the car and said, "We have good Karma . . . they lowered the gas price while we were talking."  

Yup, three cents less at the pump during a meaningful visit.  I'd say we got our money's worth. 

Off to Wal-Mart, I again saw Carrie.  We enjoyed an even longer visit.  I always love visiting with Carrie, so it was a double treat for me. 

Of course, in Wal-Mart, we often see other familiar faces, and, yes, I had not seen Tammy for a while, so we talked enough to actually block the route for a lady and her cart.  She was very nice and patient with us as we got the hint and moved out of her way. 

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all these grown-up faces of students whom I once knew at Sandpoint High School and loved playing a little catch-up on their lives.

Those reconnections did not to end with my trip to town, though.  Last night I smiled a great big Ponderette smile when I saw Debbie's profile photo on Facebook.  She was also a Ponderette.  

It's been at least 20 years since I last visited with her, but now we're Facebook friends.  

She just told me, through a posting, that she has retired from teaching. I'll bet she was a dandy because her positive, upbeat energy flows through that wonderful smile and her whole being. 

Last evening I didn't smile all through the World Series final game, but I do have to say that it was a dandy----the whole Series was, in fact.  Two phenomenal teams duked it out for seven games, and a 25-year-old pitching ace sealed the deal, as he has two other times in his young life.

It's nice to see such high quality in a sporting event and such wonderful grace to go along with it.  Congratulations to both the Giants and the Royals:  you gave your baseball fans a fantastic run and some reasons to smile.

So, if you haven't gotten the hint for this Thursday, go out and make it a great day and SMILE! 

It will make you and a whole lot of other people feel good.  




No comments: