Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Slice of the Key Lime Pie


Twice in the past two weeks, I have stood inside a Sandpoint restaurant and pointed through its window to the north.

"Right over there . . . just across the block from here is where I was born," I've told people.


The first time I shared that tidbit of vital statistics occurred during a quick visit with a foursome sitting at a table by the window.  Two familiar faces sat on one side finishing a luncheon meeting with two bankers whom I'd never met.


So, with the introductions, I threw in the birth-announcement trivia, complete with the information that back in the late '40s when my contemporaries and I were born there, moms and babies had to stay in the hospital for two weeks and that my mother remembered the staff rolling dead people past her room, which was near an exit. 


That somewhat dark and ghoulish image always stuck in my mind as I grew up, wondering if my own experience of bringing kids into the world would include such graphic reminders of our ultimate destination once we arrive.  


Fortunately, times (including the duration of hospital stays for new moms) changed as did the hospital location, from that hillside overlooking Sand Creek, to a spot just to the west. 

Yesterday, after having lunch at Baxter's Restaurant on Cedar Street, I was purchasing a second piece of pie when I told my birth-venue story for the second time.  This time I stood at the counter, talking with Tommy, one of the owners of Baxter's.

Tommy had set up tables for a potential group of 12, again my contemporaries, some of whom had probably been born at that same hospital.  

Turned out that we were a bit shy of the dozen Sandpoint High classmates who might show up to talk 50th-year reunion, but the small group still came armed with more than enough local history. 

When you talk Parkins, Hall (as in Ross's son), Chronic, Holt, Hickey (Jackie from Class of 1966 came along with her husband Jim Holt) and Rosenberger, you can expect a tale or two about Sandpoint way back when. 

Add to that another table with the Shook twins, home for a break from their cross country music tours, and fully able to brag on generations past who contributed to the history of Sandpoint. 

Well, we at our table did talk history, most of it associated with classmates and definitely dotted with a few crazy anecdotes.  We did a little business associated with planning our reunion but spent that majority of time reading off names and volunteering to look further to find those not yet on the "updated contact" list. 

Yesterday was the first time I've ever eaten at Baxter's, which is a new restaurant that opened this year.  Depending on when folks lived in Sandpoint, its location could be identified as the old Anthony's store or The Bootery or the first location for Jalapenos or part of Cabin Fever. Someone also recalled another ice cream fountain-type restaurant, which did not ring a bell for me. 

Our lunch was served in attractive baskets, and one of our waiters was a nice young man who originally hailed from France.  I'd describe my burger as fat and tasty---especially with the generous bacon strips on top. 

My friend Judy said it was important to save room for dessert----the key lime pie. Knowing I would be attending a few girls' basketball games during our usual dinner hour, I allowed myself to succumb to the temptation of what was touted as "the best key lime pie ever." 

Judy and I shared a piece, which was a good idea.  It was about that time that I learned why Judy had wanted us to have lunch at Baxter's.  Turns out her son is one of the chefs, and he came out to greet us.  His visit was rewarded with a generous compliment about the food. 



Well, "the best key lime pie ever" is not overrated.  It is truly the best slice of key lime I've ever eaten, and I do like to sample it at various venues.  The generous graham cracker crust could be satisfying enough but the first taste of rich, thick filling immediate signals a delight with every upcoming bite.

Judy says a lady comes in and bakes the pies.  Baxter's definitely found a winner when they added her to the baking roster. 

When our meeting ended, I stayed behind to thank Tommy for setting up our lunch AND to purchase another piece of that pie to take home to Bill.  

That's when the "I was born right over there" story came up, and that's when Tommy told me he would love to know more history about what all has occupied the spot where he and his partner have opened their restaurant.  

He's from Minnesota, and in a conversation with him this past summer, I detected a strong passion for both culture and history.   So, we chatted and threw out names of businesses that we, who were standing at the counter, could remember. 

I told Tommy as I walked out with my slice of pie that I'd do some looking.  While thinking about this fun little sleuthing challenge, an uncomfortable thought hit me square in the face.   

Numbers are dwindling and dwindling very quickly of local walking history books, older than I, who can provide first-person accounts of what was where and who did what in oldtime Sandpoint.  

Not too many of the older history buffs around, and that makes what was once an easy task very daunting----cuz we knew those folks and could glean our information in a quick telephone call. 

So, maybe a trip to the museum will help me provide Tommy some substantive information about his restaurant venue.  Or, maybe someone reading today has a few facts to share.  Feel free to comment if you remember more than The Bootery, Anthony's, Jalapenos, etc. 

I'll pass it along, and it may just give me another excuse to purchase some more pie from Baxter's  cuz Bill agreed with me after sampling his slice that it is "the best key lime pie ever."

Happy Wednesday!  GO ZAGS!

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

No no, you are making this to simple.. what you need to do is make a book.. on the left side.. what the building looks like now and one the right side, what the building looked like before..(that part is the research part that will take longer.. And you can do First Ave and Cedar Street, along with Pine Street.. then add the interior streets..
I am calling you and your group to get this book done, before there isn't anyone to remember.. and yes the Museum is helpful.. but it is the group still here who will make it worth while..