Friday, November 28, 2014

Fat Friday



---Annie Love Photo

Debbie Love's ham:  yum!


Lots of good relish trays from Barbara and Laurie

Swiss Miss with her obligatory pose at the holiday table. 

The diners before digging in:  Barbara, Laurie, Debbie, Laura, Annie, Bill, Willie.  

Swiss Miss and her lovely dessert


Laura knows how to do a mean scoop of ice cream!  And, that's Debbie's pie!

We had two foreign visitors who probably had their first experience with Thanksgiving yesterday. I doubt that either went home hungry.

Actually, the Blue Jay showed up the day before yesterday while my friend Terry Opperman was here, delivering another of her gorgeous centerpieces.  

As Terry and I visited outside, we could hear screeching on the south side of the house. Both of us presumed that it must be a hawk.

Well, later, when I saw a photo on Facebook with a Blue Jay at our bird feeder, I learned the rest of the story.  Annie had been in the living room when the bird arrived to snatch a peanut.

I had left the peanuts on the platform a few days before, hoping they would attract a Jay but not holding my breath.

The rest of the story also included the fact that no hawk was screeching on the south side of the house.  When the bird screeched, Annie screeched back.  She's got that Jay song down pretty well. 

The minute I learned that my peanuts-on-the-platform ploy had actually worked, I drove to town to get a new supply of peanuts. 

Sure enough, it's been working.  This Jay returned AND screeched several times yesterday, allowing us plenty of time to watch and snap photos.  

I wish I could have caught the shot when the Jay, sitting on a limb above one of our Eurasian collared doves, dropped its peanut, flew down to retrieve it and collided with the dove.  

Anyway, it was nice to enjoy the bird throughout the day.  I have a feeling I'll be racking up quite a tab for keeping peanuts in good supply. 

We looked in the bird book this morning and learned that such a Jay is uncommon for this area, which does have its share of Stellar Jays.  So, I hope the bird likes it here and decides to join our menagerie. 

Our other visitor has been here for a while, but yesterday was Laura aka Swiss Miss' first experience with an American Thanksgiving. 

Debbie told me she practiced during the week putting together her Swiss dessert with apples and pastry.  I think she called it "roulette."  I'm sure someone will correct me.  

After a super sumptuous (Barbara couldn't even finish her initial plate of food) dinner, Laura's dessert offered an attractive and light finale for all those full tummies.  Of course, as you can see from the photo, the decision to go "light" in the dessert department met with some challenges.  

I'm pretty sure everyone ate their "light" dessert along with some of the other offerings. 

We topped off the day, thrilled that the Seahawks got to eat turkey legs after their victory over the 49'ers and with the special premiere of Annie's movie of trip to Ireland, which features photos set to music.

Twas a great Thanksgiving, and the three-night eating binge continues late this afternoon when Gonzaga takes on St. John in their holiday tournament.  

GO ZAGS!  Happy Fat Friday. 

Special Note:  For whoever commented on yesterday's posting, I'm figuring you don't know me very well, to assume that this klutz could do needlework.  

I can work out slivers with needles, but that's about as far as it goes.  The image:  a photo of a placemat, purchased at Wal-Mart, with text added during photo editing.  

No comments: