Thursday, November 13, 2014

Foxy Dr. Love


It's Throwback Thursday on Facebook, and it's a big week for Willie. So, as the doting mother who melts every time she sees the photo above on the wall while walking to her upstairs computer, I had to indulge today.

The photo was taken years ago when Willie had an upset tummy and the babysitters couldn't find anything but that big T-shirt when he needed a change. 

I wish I could share the short video from Facebook which shows Willie aka Will aka Mr. Love aka Dr. Love with his professional dance partner Alyssa, but I don't think it's designef for sharing in other venues. 

So, this photo will have to do as a promotional tool for Saturday night's "Dancing with the Stars," where Willie and five other Sandpoint notables (three men, three women) will be vying for something with their dance partners.  In some cases, maybe they're just vying for the end of a week of hard work. 

This morning I saw Facebook photos of other contestants, like Festival at Sandpoint executive director Dyno Wahl, riding on the back of her partner.  Of course, that makes sense cuz Dyno is dancing to "Save a Horse; Ride a Cowboy."  

In Willie's case, it's the Foxtrot.   Let's see.  What does one have to do while fox trotting? Will Willie be wearing a tail?






Yes, after watching the video, it looks like he will, indeed, wear tails as he glides around the Panida stage with Alyssa. 

I hope the judges are as colorful with their comments as the pros on the TV show.  And, I hope they're kinder than my one and only dance teacher in college.

I had a choice---as a University of Idaho PE requirement for dance----social dance, modern dance or folk dance.  Being the country person I am, naturally, I chose folk dancing. 

Big mistake but probably a minimal mistake compared to the other possible choices for this uncoordinated klutz. 

During the nine weeks of folk dancing, which was paired with bowling and a whole 'nother painful story, we learned dances from other countries. 

We worked our way to test time, culminating with one of which would be our test dance, Greek Miserloo.  



For me, the dance was appropriately named because it meant utter MISERy. 

One day, the teacher asked me to stay after class because she needed to talk with me. She waited until everyone else left the gym, then looked me straight in the eye, and sternly asked, "Are you really trying?"

Apparently my turns and hip swings lacked grace. 

Dumbfounded and pretty much humiliated, I answered with total honesty.

"Yes," I said rather sheepishly, "all my life my feet and hands have never wanted to work with my head." 

A truer statement was never made.  My sewing teachers and my junior high gymnastics teacher could attest to that. 

Anyway, the teacher told me I had to work harder or I might not pass folk dancing.

Well, I did.  The written test averaged with good attendance and whatever miserable grade she gave me on my final performance averaged out to the most appreciated "P" I ever received. 

I have a feeling that Alyssa will be much kinder to Willie, and I have a feeling Willie will give it his all as will the other Sandpoint stars. 

And, if they don't win anything, that's okay.  I'm sure that whatever performances the audience sees on the Panida Stage Saturday night will be very entertaining. 

Go, Dr. Love.  Go, Willie.  We are proud of you!

1 comment:

rose marie said...


see you there-looking forward to it!!2504