Saturday, November 22, 2014

Saturday Slight


HOW 'BOUT THOSE BULLDOGS AND THEIR COACHES, HEAD COACH DUANE "WOODIE" WARD AND ASSISTANT COACH WILL LOVE!

HUGE OVERTIME VICTORY OVER LAKE CITY (51-49) LAST NIGHT! 

CONGRATULATIONS, BULLDOGS! 

GREAT TIMES AHEAD.



Yup, what a win for the Bulldogs!  They knocked off a perennial powerhouse from Coeur d' Alene, and I do imagine last night's victory will set the tone for the rest of the season. 

I also think this win is SO nice for Woodie Ward, who's been coaching at Sandpoint High School and Sandpoint Middle School off and on since 1966.  

Pretty neat for a 70-plus guy armed with years of coaching knowledge and the heart to take on this team and take them to this point by the second game of the season.

Woodie told me last night that he is very thrilled to have Willie working with him, and I later told Woodie, that Willie said "yes," to coaching this season because of Woodie.

Duane Ward is, without a doubt, one of finest, most respected of family men, coaches and good friends and role models anyone could know in Sandpoint.  

What a wonderful opportunity for Willie to work side by side with such a wonderful human being!

And, to watch Duane coach during a game is a treat.  He's constantly teaching those girls on the fine points of playing basketball and in a kind way. 

Hat's off to the coaches and the team.  I have a feeling the Bulldog girls are going to be a force this year, thanks to the inspiration of last night's victory. 

~~~~~
This morning looks like a beautiful day.  The snow is mostly gone down here in the valley but looking adequate up there at Schweitzer for its season opener. 

It's almost balmy outside this morning with a slight breeze drying out a night's worth of rain. 

~~~~~
Speaking of balmy, it's getting closer every day to an upcoming trip with Annie.  In a couple of weeks, Bill and I will join Annie in Seattle and fly to Honolulu for a week on the north shore of Oahu.

I try not to think about these fun adventures when there's work to be done, but as we wind down toward Thanksgiving, I'm finding visions of sunny beaches and geocaching with Annie's friends on the island popping in to my head more frequently.

Bill has never been to Hawaii, and, of course, Annie, always the cheerleader for travel, threw in the plan to visit Pearl Harbor.  Bill, always the history buff, especially WWII, liked the sounds of that idea. 

So, when the big day comes, we're going to pack our suitcases and head for Paradise. The suitcases will not be too full, though, as I learned when Annie and I went to Maui a few years ago that layers of clothing are certainly not needed. 

We feel fortunate to have some wonderful help to watch the place and keep the critters fed and comfortable during our absence. 

And, yes, the camera and computer will go along.  And, yes, I'm getting pretty excited

~~~~~
Before that fun journey, though, there's Thanksgiving to think about.  I do have my Butterball and my butterflake rolls and my stuffing mix.  Swiss Miss told me last night that she's bringing something Swiss to dinner, but it's a surprise.

Can't wait to sample it. 

~~~~~
Lots to do on this Saturday, so I'll push the "off" button and wish everyone a great day AND "GO ZAGS."  Another Bulldog victory tonight would make our day!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also tell Bill that he won't want to miss Punchbowl, It is the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. Set inside an extinct crater, it is the final resting place of, as well as a solemn tribute to, many of our military personnel, and it includes a very impressive set of murals representing the various battles in the Pacific set in marble. Please look into it, it is well worth the visit.

Florine said...

I was going to recommend that for Bill, also. I happened to be at the Punch Bowl on Memorial Day many years ago. 'Twas a moving and humbling experience.

Anonymous said...

Oh - Oahu is my favorite place in the world. Enjoy it all! Hike up to the Makapuu Lighthouse for gorgeous views - takes less than an hour round trip. Should be good whale watching from there, too. It is a bit of a hike up but if I can do it anyone can - and downhill is a breeze. Eat at one of the shrimp trucks and enjoy a shave ice at Matsumoto's (I like condensed milk on the top of mine:) You can also take a whale watching catamaran out of the Haleiwa harbor - it is fun. I am looking forward to my trip there in February. Happy Thanksgiving!
Julie in Orlando