Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tuesday Twitterdeedum

I've known Finneys forever, it seems.  We had a Finneyville on our bus route which extended from North Boyer to North North Boyer where bus drivers would pick up kids and then maneuver the tedious turnaround just before the tracks, using a driveway with a big gateway.

That segment of Finneyville extends clear over to HWY 95 from North North Boyer along the Bronx Road.  These days, a lot of other folks besides Finney family members live in the Boyer version of Finneyville, as the original land has been divided and sold off.  


I think there's even Finney land up on the mountain west of North North Boyer and a lot of folks have bought homes up there.  


I also know that Finneys lived at Colburn when I was growing up, cuz my current neighbor Gary Finney and his siblings attended the grade school that still sits on the hillside east of HWY 95 in Colburn.


Nowadays, Selle has its own Finneyville, extending from South Center Valley Road clear over to the Union Pacific tracks near the Selle Grange.  Go a little further and an extension of the Selle Finneyville continues on the south side of Selle Road to East Shingle Mill Road.  


There may be more plots in Finneyville, but these are the Finney habitats with which I'm familiar. 


I've known Finneys because of the early school bus route, because of going to school with some, because of 4-H, because of teaching and because I've never really lived in a Finney-less neighborhood. 


All that said, they have a whole lot of other relatives I know whose names are not Finney, including Olivers, Stradleys, Paulets, Madsens, etc.


"Why all the Finney talk this morning?  Don't you mention Gary Finney often enough?" readers may be thinking. 

Well, yes, I do talk about Gary, my neighbor just up the road and my classmate.  

Today I'm gonna talk about another Finney.  I first became acquainted with Linda Finney during my early teaching career.  She was a senior in high school then.  I just remember how personable and how SMART she was.  Lots of Finneys are smart, by the way!

I also taught some of her siblings. 

Well, Linda came back into my radar, like so many other former students, through Facebook.  

At the time, I learned that she had taken that good brain and that personable nature and had done something pretty impressive with it, as indicated in the following link:  
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jun/01/front-and-center-linda-finney-leadership-spokane/

After I read the story above, I sent a note to Linda congratulating her on her retirement. We still haven't gotten together for that promised visit and cup of coffee in Sandpoint, but I was thrilled yesterday when I saw that she has started her own blog.  

"Among The Fields of Gold" will focus on retirement and serving, and knowing Linda's fine writing skills and universal outlook, I'm guessing it will be a fun site to add to my morning blogroll.  

So, check it out, and to Linda, "Good Luck with your blog and have fun."  I have a feeling you've got a lot more to contribute to this world, and I'm sure all the folks in all the Finneyvilles are proud of you.   https://amongthefieldsofgold.wordpress.com/

In other news this morning, how 'bout those Eagles from Eastern Washington University. Talk about an upset in a storied setting.  If ya haven't read, the Eagles beat Indiana in men's basketball last night.

Looks like the Spokane area is in for plenty of basketball excitement this season.  The ZAGS pulled down an 8th place and 10th-place ranking in yesterday's latest NCAA polls.  


Willie and Annie during an angelic moment. 

Finally, this was my second black-and-white challenge photo yesterday on Facebook. Could I look at this photo all day?

Yes, as I'm sure most mothers do with their own precious pics.  

We all have many moments which we wish would last forever. This is one of mine,  and thanks to cameras and computer photo albums,  we can get our maternal, loving fix any ol' time. 

Today Precious aka Annie will arrive at Spokane Airport, and then we'll head to Sandpoint High School's Les Rogers gym where "Big Man" aka Willie will be sitting next to coach Duane Ward as they hope for another SHS girls' varsity basketball victory.

Let the Thanksgiving fun begin. 

Happy Tuesday. 


No comments: