Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Another Retro Detour










It's the penultimate day of the ten-year milestone for "Slight Detour," the blog, so, of course, I'm delighted to feature a few more cartoons penned by my brother Jim in his collection of cartoons "Slight Detour," which inspired this blog. 

What's not to like about a four good laughs this morning, thanks to Jim's sense of humor and his artistic talent.  Thanks, Jim, for getting this all started. 

Today I picked a Dec. 3 entry from just three years ago, and I'm noticing that those damn wrap-arounds are still coming with our morning papers.  I still grimace when I see them but have learned that getting mad isn't gonna make them go away.  

Still won't read them, though. 

Anyway, on this Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2014, you can read another "Slight Detour" blast from the past. 

Saturday, December 03, 2011


Saturday Slight

Update:  Must be they're talking about one of Jim's cartoons. 

Update:  Sadly, Fuzzy Wuzzy left us last year after 17 good years. 

Update:  Brookie still exhibits the essence of innocence, quite contrary to some of her dirt-digging deeds. 


Just some photos with my new lens, which came yesterday (click once on each photo for enlarged shot). 

It should be great for portraits and for better close-ups, but I'm realizing that I still need a true telephoto for the far-away shots.

Still, this one will lead to a lot of fun photos. 
~~~~
Please join me, Keith Lockhart, and the Tanglewood Festival Chorus at noon at the Christian science Plaza as we attempt to break the world record for caroling!!
The item above came off from Facebook this morning.  Hailey Fuqua of Sandpoint is a Facebook friend, and she's an accomplished vocalist, living on the East Coast. 
I'm just interested to see if they break the world record.  If it makes the news, then we'll know someone from Sandpoint helped out.  Go, Hailey!
Kudos: 
Hats off to Penny Sue and Richelle McGuire (mother and daughter) and Darcy and Caitlin Smith (mother and daughter).  The foursome spent a weekend recently at Yoke's representing the Girl Scout organization and collecting donations for the local food bank.  Penny promised to give me the weekend totals, which follow:
On 11/19 (Sat.) 4 full grocery baskets which weighed 723 pounds, 9 frozen turkeys, & $133.00. On 11/20 (Sun.) 3 full grocery baskets which weighed 287 pounds, 1 frozen turkey, & $120.00. For a grand total of 1,010 pound of food, 10 frozen turkies, $253.00 AMAZING! :) The director of our Local Food Bank was surprised only two 8 1/2 year old Brownies could gather that much.  
Great job, Ladies!
In sports highlights this morning, we're proud of Willie and his JV basketball team.  They're 2-0 after defeating East Valley 48-34 last night.  The players are definitely hard-working scrappers who get the job done.
Today at noon we'll be watching undefeated Gonzaga take on undefeated Illinois AND keeping our fingers crossed that our ZAGS will remain undefeated. 
Bill says he may do the "unthinkable" today by missing a ZAGS game and going pheasant hunting.  I think the season may be winding down, and he wants to take advantage of the unusually nice weather. 
No complaints here today cuz it looks like another sunny day ahead. 
Oops, I forgot. I do have a complaint.  
This one can be filed in the curmudgeon department.  I'm learning to HATE Saturday morning Daily Bees.  
For the past month, they've been putting a wrap-around ad on the paper.  Now, wrap-arounds are mildly irritating anyway, but these wrap-arounds can't just be discarded for news junkies to get on with their fix,  cuz these wrap-arounds also INCLUDE the news---the RECORDS, no less.
The first time my paper had one, I tried ripping it off, only to make a big mess.  Now I have to pull it off, put it aside and remember come back to it again. Not a pleasant newspaper reading experience!
I have a message for the Daily Bee.  This new strategy is so irritating I refuse to lay one eye on the ads.  
Am I the only old grouch who gets irritated by this new method of helping the newspaper's bottom line???? 
Okay, that's the only complaint of the day.  It looks like more sun is coming and we'll have a fun day.   Happy Saturday.


Comments:   1 – 4 of 4
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I agree. Damn those things. And, another little thing, the column continue page has moved to page 5 from page 3 for added irritation.

Hi, Merrian.

-Phil
11:07 AM
Anonymous Anonymous said...
so what happened to your sunshine prediction?
1:57 PM
Blogger MLove said...
Oops (:
2:51 PM
Blogger Word Tosser said...
I agree... I hate that little wrap around thingie... I too, almost threw away the back page, not seeing at first that it was attached to the front wrap.. grrrrrr... David, if you are reading this.. make it all ads so we can throw it away.. or dump the idea.
9:19 AM

1 comment:

Tom Wobker said...

Nice blog.

And I really enjoy your brother's slightly screwy cartoons.

Tom Wobker