Monday, January 12, 2015

Breaking Trail












It's great to have winter days when the sun is shining, the snow is perfect, the work is done and we can go outside and get the hearts pumping.  Yesterday was one of those.

Oh, we did watch our share of football and some basketball (leading the way toward great possibilities today for our ZAGS), but we also spent some quality time outside with the our dogs,  breaking trails through the snow and marveling at the beauty of the day. 

I have come to love snow shoeing over downhill and cross country skiing for a number of reasons.  Even though I gave it several tries, I did not take to downhill skiing, with its cost and its fear factor.  

I've never been a daredevil, so going down a hill out of control, landing hard in a twisted heap and then figuring out how unfold my body, skis and poles to get upright to do it all over again---not my cup of tea.

We, as a family, did a lot of cross country skiing years ago, but it too had some limitations. Cross country skiing for me is fun on a groomed trail.  

I never really enjoyed having to break trail with my skis or having the tips pierce so deeply into the snow that it took an act of God for me to pull them out and get back on track. 

Then, there are the ever-changing snow qualities and the need to wax or not to wax the skis, depending on temperature, consistency, etc.  

One Christmas Bill gave me a pair of snow shoes that our friend Bob Aavedal, owner the Alpine Shop, had suggested.  Bill already had a pair of his own, so that signaled the start of our snow shoe outings.  

We've been enjoying it ever since. 

It's obvious those Red Feather snow shoes of mine have gotten a lot of use because the vinyl has come loose from the backs of each ski. They still work just fine. 

I love the freedom and flexibility that snow shoeing provides.  Pick a route virtually anywhere and just set off.  That's precisely what I did yesterday after strapping on my pair and leaving the yard.

Simply, step off the plowed areas over the berm, get situated on that untouched snow and you turn into a trailblazer!

Yesterday's adventure took me places and routes in the woods and fields that I would never go otherwise during the winter months.  

Plus, doggies were happy, sniffing the snow, occasionally digging in and easily racing over its somewhat packed but still soft consistency. 

Later, Bill joined us as we took a trek across the field and into the woods next door. Thanks, Meserve's.  

We stopped often, just admiring the sights around us and, of course, to getting too exhausted. It was a great work-out and perfect preparation for returning to the house and the couch to take in some more weekend sports. 

I'm thinking today----cuz it's looking mighty pretty out there this morning---that the polarizer filter I ordered for my new lens might come.

If it does, the dogs and I might head north for some more snow shoeing at the Nature Conservancy and to try out that filter.  Then, we'll come home, sit back and hope my friend Janet has a trifecta-plus with her favorite teams.  

So far, Seattle, Gonzaga and GO, OREGON! 

Plus, we'll be watching for Chris Pietsch, along the sidelines, who must be having the time of his life with his big cameras, chronicling this first-ever, official NCAA College Football Play-off Championship game.  

Happy Monday.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts - and text/phone call. Alas, that one was not to be. But - Zags play Thursday and Saturday and Seahawks on Sunday. We are off to the next team.
Janet

MLove said...

Sorry about the way it turned out. As you say, we move on to follow the next star.