Sunday, February 08, 2015

A No-Newspaper Sunday

I don't know why we don't have papers this morning, but the boxes out there are empty.  I keep listening for a car to come from the north, stop and move on. If it does, this post will take a break, and I'll come back later to finish it. 

If and 'til that welcome sound, I'll continue on.  

I think I hear a car coming in the distance.  Maybe, though, that was wishful hearing, but no, it's coming closer.  Guess I'll go to the window and check. 

False alarm.  That car was zipping down Selle Road.

One thing I don't hear right now is rain.  It has finally stopped, for a while, anyway.  We had a steady downpour overnight, adding to the new streams flowing down ditches and across fields. 

I'm wondering this morning if the scene in the photo below has improved or gotten worse.  I took the photo yesterday on my morning walk.  It's about a quarter mile up the road from us right across from my friend Janice's house.

She says this time of the year they call it a "raging river."  When I walked down there late yesterday afternoon, just the very tops of those middle posts were above the water, and the water was almost even with the road.



A lot more snow needs to melt from those fields, I think, before this high water starts receding.  Typical February in North Idaho, and it's seldom a pretty sight. 

The road is pretty bad too; maybe the paper deliverers are slowly winding their way through hundreds of quickly forming clusters of potholes on the other roads along their route. 

Still, no sign of them but now a return to a light pitter patter on the roof.  I also heard some geese.  The sky above us here at the Lovestead has provided flight paths for the honkers lately.  

A single goose just flew over the house.  If it had any friends, they were instructed to be quiet so that this one could squawk out a solo for anyone who cares to listen. 

While walking the road earlier this morning in hopes of seeing the papers, I did see a patch of blue sky off to the south.  I've heard that we've seen the worst of the rain, and that will probably be fine with just about everyone around here. 

Yesterday's weather provided a perfect excuse to stay inside most of the day and watch basketball.  I just about overdosed, and by the time the ZAGS made it through their "not so pretty" game against San Francisco, I decided that was enough for one day and probably more than I plan to watch for any stretch in the near future. 

The best game of the day turned out to be a nail biter until the last minute or so when Kentucky pulled out a win over Florida and maintained its perfect record. 

That one kinda spoiled me for the ZAGS game, which did not start until 8:30 p.m.  In the constant effort by each team to knock off the ZAGS, we see some interesting basketball. 

Last night setting up for charging fouls seemed to be the strategy for San Francisco, along with some pretty accurate shooting. It's a rare moment when I say anything about the referees, but some of last night's officiating seemed a bit questionable. 

It all turned out okay, though, and now the team moves on with the most wins in all of NCAA men's basketball.  

Well, the resident crows are starting their morning conversation, and soon Mr. Jay will show up with his demanding shrieks.

So, on this newsless Sunday, I'll just quit my babble and drown out the crows with one of my favorite vocalists from the '70s singing a Steve McQueen movie theme song and expressing the theme of our current February days here in the Northwest. 







No comments: