Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Crispy Cold Tuesday



















Early posting this morning, as I'll be on my way up to Schweitzer in a while.  The school activity will definitely require some extra layers of clothes and a pair of gloves on this cold day.  

We're hovering just above 20 degrees here on the flats, but I'm thinking it will be at least ten degrees colder up on the mountain. 


It should be a fun day with the camera and the student activities, although yesterday's picture taking turned out kinda fun with my buddies as we walked the woods, the fields and the barnyard area. 


Over in Meserve's field, several robins were out and picking away at the dirt piles left by the gophers.  Must have been some good eating over there as the birds didn't get too concerned as I stepped closer with my camera. 


I think robins establish a definite pecking order when it's feeding time.  They keep themselves spaced out but move as a unit combing the ground for treats wherever they happen to be.  


I've noticed this especially in our lawn area as the ground warms up and worms start hanging out closer to the surface. 


It would be nice to know if we have some of the same robins every year.  I think we must. If only I could interview them, I could learn a lot more about where they hang out in the winter and why our annual visitors pick our place as their summer residence. 


This area definitely is Robinville, and I like that.


The dogs were having a great time racing around and playing with their toys in the woods yesterday.  


Thanks to the dry surface, I actually got down and lay on the ground at their level to snap some photos.  I noticed later that all the doggie romping around my face and camera played a little havoc with my lens as little spots showed up on some of the photos.


Still, the pictures turned out to be fun. 


The stop sign in the photos is next to a rather bumpy Baily Road on the north side of a large field at the base of the mountains west of Colburn.  


After getting some gas at Samuels Store, I turned off on the road,  looking for photos. For an instant, the sun tried to peek through the snow clouds just as I pulled up to the sign.  


On down the road was another stop sign with no intersection.  Still, I stopped and moved on a bit to another homemade stop sign.  Time to turn around, I surmised. 


We did have a bit of spitting snow yesterday, and maybe we'll see a heavier coat at Schweitzer.  Down here, though, it disappeared and brought on this crisp, clear and cold Tuesday.  


We'll bundle up for a couple of days and then welcome shirt-sleeve weather by the weekend.  Typical March.  


Happy Tuesday.   

No comments: