Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Transition Mode




I think it's time to transplant some lettuce.  It might even be time to do a little thinning and enjoy the first spring salad. 

I loved our trip to the Seattle area, but it's fun being back home, especially at this time of year, which is loaded with the outdoor "to do's."  

The grass is turning green, but fortunately, its growth spurts haven't started yet, so I probably won't have to worry about mowing in March.

Instead, my focus for the next few days will involve gathering some bigger pots for some of my young plants which are growing "like weeds" inside.  I actually have a few weeds in one flat of flowers but have been plucking them out with regularity.

It's time to prepare the greenhouse for its 2015 inhabitants, which at this time include more than 50 geraniums, some pansies and petunias and pampas grass.  About 50 tomato plants put on a growth spurt during our four-day absence.

Last week, while cleaning a covering of fall leaves from a lovely wandering vine plant called vinca minor or dwarf periwinkle, it occurred to me that I could easily take portions of this plant and pretty up other areas of my yard.  

So, that will be an upcoming project.

With the earlier wet weather, I've already gotten a start at thinning out my prolific wild rose bush and transplanting several starts at an area along the road on the south part of our place.  

Those roses grow and spread rapidly, so in a few years, we could have a nice hedge in that area. 

I'll probably also get out the paint brushes and do a little touch up on some fence boards and the planters around the deck.  

This time of the year makes me downright giddy about all the possibilities and hopeful that I can accomplish at least a portion of the ambitious ideas that pop into my head.  

Besides beautifying the yard, the horses will also get some attention with more daily grooming.  

And, the bike will go into action whenever I want to take a break from yard and garden work.  

Lots of great outdoor possibilities and after three years of it arriving on schedule in late April, I'm hoping, praying and keeping my fingers crossed, along with downing a spoonful of neighborhood honey each day, that the annual ITCH stays away.  

Twould be nice to avoid that miserable irritant while trying to enjoy all the fun and work outdoors. 

Anyway, that's enough yakkedy yak for this morning.  Looks like a great day ahead and we're actually going to be pushing the 70s by week's end.

So, the baby plants are calling, and I'm more than thrilled to respond.

Happy Tuesday. 



No comments: