Monday, May 04, 2015

A Fallen Apple Tree, Et. Al.











I tried to save a tree yesterday without much success.  It looks as if Bill is going to have to take his chain saw and cut up our older, smaller apple tree.

The ground in the north lawn is saturated with water, especially during the winter months.  Apparently, with that wet, soggy earth, the tree's roots couldn't stay put.  

I noticed last summer that the trunk moved rather easily so something was happening then.  Sometime this winter the tree simply toppled over. 

It has remained there for several months, as we've been waiting for the surface water to dry up.  

I've had plenty of time to think about how to rescue the tree, which is still producing blossoms, so it's alive just not stable. 

Yesterday I loaded up some tall stakes, a towing rope, shovel and some soil in the 4-wheeler box. 

I thought if I could pull the tree back up to a standing position, I could add some support and more soil.  Maybe it would stay standing.

The tree came up very easily and remained standing as long as the tow rope supported it, but once I'd back up, down it would go.  One time, I had tamped enough stakes on its weak side that it just kinda leaned but did not go down completely.

Figuring that was a dangerous situation for any critter that might be walking through the area, I gave up the quest, loaded up my stuff and left the tree in its resting position.

I told Bill that the tree will have to go.  

"Easy to pick the apples," he said. 

"Yeah, the deer will get them that much faster," I responded. 

I wanted to save the tree because it doesn't bear much fruit, but the apples are large and tasty. 

I've found over the years, that the area where it's located is probably not the wisest place to grow anything.  Gave up on the garden spot a few years ago and replanted it to grass. 

Yesterday's projects also included spiffing up the vintage step stool which I picked up at Moose Valley on Saturday.  Last year Mary had an old lawn mower with a basket full of posies.  

This year, the step stool will add to the funkiness of Lovestead decor.  A little spray paint, it was good to go for placing flowers, etc.  I like it because I move it anywhere and change the theme as needed. 

I also planted two lovely potentilla bushes (early Mother's Day present from Annie).  They ended up in the herb garden which has had a big ugly open space.  No more.  It's filled now with oregano, chives, lupine, daffodils, dill and whatever else wants to grow there.  

Thank you, Annie. 

I don't know what part of the fruit blossom season I love the most, but it's hard to beat the apple blossoms, especially because the trees are so loaded this year.  I saw a few especially pretty trees on North North Boyer Road last night. 

Soon will come the lilacs, and after that my grand lupine display.  Spring colors have been magnificent this year, and, happily, we aren't finished yet. 

Today----more gardening and a start on the next lawn-mowing marathon. 

Happy Monday. 


No comments: