Friday, May 29, 2015

Iris Show and More Pretty Stuff





I've been watching this gang all week.  They've been working up to a great display, and last evening seemed to bring on the best of what they have to offer for this year.

As a photographer, I get kinda mad at Iris cuz the blooms are somewhat self-centered.  Often, only one gets to show off at a time, leaving the stem with a wrinkled up "has been" or a soon-to-burst forth-in-glory bud.

It's not often that they'll all appear at once, but that stem with the blue-and-white blossoms showed a little more collaboration this year.

This group all came from a batch of starts given to me several years ago by Gary and Carol Pietsch.

We had just moved to the Lovestead when they came out and handed over a sack from their well-established, historic collection.

I've said before that perennial flowers, given by friends, contribute to the lasting value of that friendship every year when the blossoms burst open.

Pietsches, I think of you often and will appreciate your gift each spring as long as I live.

Some others around the yard remind me of my friendship with the Camp family and of Bev Chapin.

Pretty neat way to think about our friends.    


I'm not so good at capturing photos of Iris, but this one cooperated fairly well last night.  


And then, with all that blue-and-white on that one Iris stem, the gorgeous petals put on a pretty show. 


Almost good enough to chomp off a bite, but wait, this is no corn; this is a deliciously beautiful yellow lupine.

I don't think people eat lupine, and I know farmers don't like them in their pastures.  My lupine are well behaved.  They stay in the yard area, for the most part.  


Oak-leaf radiance.

These two leaves seemed to be quite happy to show off their elegance side by side last evening.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the spring growth has been extra special this year.

Hate to see it all end so soon, but I have a feeling that by next week, we'll have to rely on all the perennials to dress up our yards. 


In other news, Annie texted me from Amsterdam earlier this morning.  She was about to board her flight to Rome, and I have a feeling her plane will be preparing for descent soon.  

She was fortunate enough to have two seats to herself on the window side during that long flight to Amsterdam, which meant a few hours of actual sleep.  

We'll be anxious to see her photos on Facebook, and this time she has an International plan which allows her to post as often as she likes.


Guess that's all on this beautiful Friday.  Enjoy the day.   UPDATE BELOW


1 comment:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sure some pretty photos. I don't believe I every seen pink Iris