Sunday, May 31, 2015

Just Two Degrees, Et Tu, Caesar, Et. Al.






I can't say I'm feeling holier this morning, but I sure am excited.  So is Bill, my Presbyterian husband.

We were both pretty proud and thrilled this morning to hear the words straight from the Vatican as Pope Francis extended his blessing to the people in the Square. 

Annie and her friends, Naren and Smita, stood in the crowd, snapping photos and listening to the Pope's words.  

A portion of his message is on video, which Annie shot and which both Bill and I enjoyed hearing.  The Pope has a beautiful voice for extending his blessings. 

That said, I guess we can brag that today we experienced two degrees of separation from one of the most revered humans on the planet.  

We're so thrilled that our Annie, who was once accused (correctly) of cavorting too much with Nicholas Rust during Catechism, has shown great respect for the tradition of the Catholic faith. 

Of course, the fact that the Pope loves soccer helps!  And, yes, Annie had her Sounders scarf. 

Yesterday, she sent me a text telling me that she'd met Caesar.  Again, as an educator who spent almost every year with Caesar in my classroom, I was thrilled to know that Annie had met him firsthand----well, at least his stature.  Today she has also visited the Forum.  Don't know if she's seen any foreboding lions walking through the square. 

As a parent, teacher and Catholic,  it is especially thrilling to live vicariously through Annie's Roman holidays. 

The last photo was a scene I saw shortly after learning that Annie had met Caesar.  I was sitting in a limousine with three other women, Sue Austin, Betty Hefner and Cindy Chenault as this other group of women greeted us with warm enthusiasm.

All I'm saying is thank you to the women who greeted us, then ushered us into a wonderful luncheon and to Rick, the chauffeur, who took us for a spin in the limo to Clark Fork and back. 

It was a lovely experience, which was most appreciated.  Thank you, WHW!

Happy Sunday. I'm feeling very blessed, and I haven't even been to Rome!

No comments: