Thursday, May 07, 2015

Throwing Back: from Weird to Wistful


What a lot of the folks associated with Pend Oreille Arts Council don't know about their executive director:  she likes wolves and she's a "Twilight" fan.

People that know Debbie know that she's occasionally a lovely lamb in wolf clothing, so that's what they get her for presents----besides the Bigfoot stuff, that is.

Yes, sweet, sweet Debbie Love can at times exemplify the old saying that you can't judge a book completely by its cover, especially when it's got a wolf on the front.

By the way, she's still on the hunt for Bigfoot.  If you have any hot leads, contact her.


I think she may be trying to channel Bigfoot with her cell phone in this photo. 
  


Speaking of bringing in the sheep (yes, that's what I thought for most of my life was the words in that hymn were saying.  I thought it was really nice that we rejoiced while bringing in the sheep.

And, I thought it was expecially nice when Don donned this sheeplike hairpiece on the night of his 70th birthday.  We won't say how many years ago that was, but we can still chuckle about our former colleague and his sense of style, at a birthday party, that is!




And, speaking of bringing in the sheep, do ya think I can do it?  Who has more Border Collie pride than this?

I haven't gone out to Randy Curless' sheep herd yet, but I'm betting they won't be able to resist.

After all, I'm a wolf in Border Collie clothing, so they'd better show up when I give them "the look." 




Now, to the "wistful" segment of this Throwback Thursday.  I received a graduation announcement in yesterday's mail.  It came from this little guy.

His mom is my niece Maureen, oldest of the nieces and nephews, and he's the oldest of the grand nieces and nephews.

Congratulations, Tanner!


Speaking of graduations, I dug this photo out of the pile and smiled.  This is one of my favorite Mike's ever. 

Mike will tell you that he may not have been my favorite during that year we first got acquainted, especially the first day when I returned to teaching after a semester leave of absence.

On that first day, I went to the faculty room and asked who this kid was, seeings he pushed my buttons worse than any student on the day's roster.

Someone gave me a clue as to his bloodlines, and that gave me a clue of what to do about Mike.

When Mike showed up, I laid some photos on his desk.

"See that," I said. "That's your grandmother.  I've known her all my life."

Then, I pointed to another.

"See that," I said. "That's your mother.  I've known her since the day she was born. You'd better behave in this class cuz I know how to contact them."

Well, Mike had his days, but watching him mature since our first meeting has been one of the most gratifying rewards a teacher and a family friend could ever experience.

I'm so proud of Mike, and I know his family is too. 


Speaking of Mike, that grandmother who looks like she's all of 30---that is Grandma Jean standing next to me with her son James, one of Bill's Eagle Scouts, and that's his dad, the late Jim Martin.

James just received notification that he's a tenured professor at Montana State University, and his sons keep Jean on her toes on the farm, or maybe it's the other way around.

I cherish my lifelong friendship with this family.  We have shared many, many stories spanning many many decades. 


Now, the ultimate wistful.

Mike and Mary arrived in Sandpoint yesterday after spending the past two months in Texas.

Mike and Mary are the reason these two ladies had their photos taken together over many, many decades.

Mike's mother Virginia on the left; Mary's mother Helen on the right.  


They were enjoying cake at the Delamarter's wedding anniversary at First Presbyterian Church.

These ladies are also mothers to Kevin, Marianne, Jean Marie, Barbara, Laurie and Jim (Virginia) and Jim, Mike, Chris, Beth, Sigrid and Kirsten (Helen).

We miss them so!

On Mother's Day, they'll be in our thoughts.

No comments: