Thursday, May 14, 2015

Thursday Throwbacks: Busy Week

This sweatshirt and logo came out during the time Bill and I were working with Festival ushers during the early 1990s.  We enjoyed a good run and had fun working with all those volunteers who seated concert-goers and worked crowd control. 

Bill and Kiwi a few years ago, fly fishing at Boulder Creek which runs through beautiful Boulder Meadows. 

Forestry equipment display and (below) my sister's fifth graders at last year's Idaho State Forestry Contest.


Festival Line-up, Idaho State Forestry Contest, release of Sandpoint Magazine, Lost in the '50s-----lots going on this week in the general Sandpoint area. 

I looked at the leaked information about The Festival last night and saw some familiar names----for me, at least.  Vince Gill, Ziggy Marley, Wilco, Arlo Guthrie and some up-and-coming groups.  

I'll have to do some studying on some of the others, but I know that I love Vince Gill, and anyone my age knows Arlo Guthrie.

More information on this year's line-up with concerts weekends of Aug. 6-16 can be found at http://www.festivalatsandpoint.com/

This is traditionally the big announcement week for The Festival, and one of the sources for that information is traditionally Sandpoint Magazine, which may have hit the streets today. 

And, with Sandpoint Magazine's summer edition, I have a big announcement to make today. My husband Bill will be a featured writer in this issue.   As seen from above, Bill does his share of fishing, so he asked if he could do an article called "Crick Fishing."  

He got the nod earlier this spring, and I do think he's quietly busting his buttons with pride. Bill incorporated Kiwi into the piece because she's his fishing buddy on the majority of his crick fishing outings, especially Grouse Creek.

The throwback aspect of the photo with Bill is that it was taken a few years back at Boulder Meadows.  The fish in Boulder Creek aren't exactly lunkers, but it's one of the most beautiful spots in North Idaho for casting a fly.

Anyway, I'm really proud and happy for Bill as he has joined the roster of a long line of Sandpoint Magazine writers.  

Today he left early to drive down to Careywood for the Idaho State Forestry Contest, which he helped found more than 30 years ago.  He was having a heckuva time this morning looking through all nooks and crannies and even pulling out a pile of his hats.

I asked him why he was searching so diligently.  Turns out that among his collection, of which those pictured below are just a portion, he has a special Idaho State Forestry cap, given to him three years ago when he served as honorary chair.  

Unfortunately, he could not find it this morning, so he was feeling a little unsettled as he walked out the door without the special cap.  

Meanwhile, probably as I type, my sister Laurie is getting herself organized for her class field trip to the contest.  She has students who will go through the learning stations and a group who will be competing.  

Laurie has high hopes for her troops this year.  

I'm headed down later with my camera and will enjoy the relative freedom of walking the beautiful trails at the Ray Delay Ranch (home forever to the contest) and just snapping some fun photos. 

Before leaving, I may do a little more searching and possibly find that special hat around here somewhere.  That will make Bill's day. 

Happy Thursday to all. 

All of these are definitely throwbacks, representing various places and events where Bill has been over the years.  



No comments: