Tuesday, July 07, 2015

On the Road . . . .







By the time you read this post, I'll be near the West Coast with my sisters, my brother and our friend Maryann.  

It's mid-afternoon Monday, and I don't know what time or facilities I'll have in the morning to post my blog.  In addition, Laurie and I anticipate a pretty late arrival in Western Washington this Monday evening.  

So, for now, just know that my routine is a bit different, and if everything fails to appear on time when you sit down to read, all is well. 

We're actually doing some horsin' around at a regional Arabian Show, and sometimes when folks horse around, other stuff goes by the wayside, 

Tuesday Morning . . . we made it over the Snoqualmie Pass (after the evening blasting) and down into Monroe by about 11 last night.  

Parts of the drive with that gorgeous sun giving us a variety of "setting" shows were beautiful.

The shot above was taken out the car window as Laurie was driving down the hill to the Vantage bridge which goes over the Columbia River. 

Today Barbara has two classes, and then we'll probably do some "turist-type activities.

Finally, a sad note regarding a shocking loss for our community.  

I first met Laura Bry several years ago when my brother, sister and I took a city recreation sailing class, taught by Keith Sheckler of Windbag Marina.  

We didn't always have the best experiences trying to get our sailboats to move with little or no wind, but we all had a great time enjoying each session.

From the moment I met her until the last time saw her riding a float in the Fourth of July Parade, Laura was always a positive light.  Warm, friendly, outgoing, smart----that's how I'll remember this lady whose smile and genuine sincerity were her trademarks wherever she went. 

Last fall when she ran for Idaho State Representative, I endorsed her publicly.  She and another Legislative candidate, Andrew Sorg, came out to the Lovestead and joined our Lodgepole Society. 

She did not win, but Laura was not one to let disappointment stop her never-ending quest to make a difference in the community where she had chosen to live.  Her infectious, enthusiastic personality warmed the hearts of so many people in the general Sandpoint area. 

Laura passed away suddenly over the weekend.  I'm glad I yelled at her and saw her turn around and wave back with that big smile as she passed by in the parade----definitely a moment to treasure.

Knowing Laura and being one of the multitude of recipients of her goodwill during her daily travels around town was truly a gift.  Like so many others, I'm saddened by her loss but inspired by the legacy she left during the time she spent in her adopted, beloved community. 

RIP, Laura. You were a good friend to many.  We'll miss you. 


Andrew Sorg and Laura Bry candidates for the Idaho Legislature in 2014






No comments: