Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday Slight













I went to a class reunion last night.  It's a common weekend activity for an old teacher during the summers.  This class graduated from Sandpont High School 20 years after I did. I was well into my teaching career by the time they passed through the school.  

As usual, seeing their faces brought back some good memories.  In addition, I enjoyed some interesting discussions with 1985 grads---including medical marijuana, the importance of accountability and a topic that makes me smile:  IRELAND.  

One grad spent considerable time trying to convince me of all the positives involved with medical marijuana, emphasizing that he exercises great responsibility in his chosen career. 

Another grad told me that he really can't call anyplace home because he moves around a lot and that he can't quite define his career which has taken him in several different directions.  

In the 30 years since he's been in high school he has come to the conclusion that the most important quality a person can develop is accountability.  Expect accountability from others and from yourself, he said.  I could go along with that. 

Of course, sharing stories of our trips to Ireland kept another graduate and I engaged for quite some time.  Seem that no matter who one talks to about Ireland, there comes a common conclusion.  It's magical, and the people match the island's incomparable beauty. 

Anyway, it was fun to see all those faces and to enjoy a few good visits.  Thanks to Tamara Press Poelstra for the invitation.  

Yesterday I worried about my hay pile all day because of predicted thunder storms overnight and today. 

That stack sits outside my barn. A worker was supposed to come an stack it inside.  When that didn't happen by late afternoon, I found a couple of tarps and started covering the bales.  A brisk breeze was blowing, making the project a bit challenging.  

Then, a bee stung me.  Then, with sweat rolling down my face and a painful sting and wind blowing my tarp and horses whinnying, begging for their afternoon move to the barn area, I said some bad words. 

Twas one of those times on a farm where one wonders if it's all worth it.  Of course, when the job's done, the horses shut up and all the sweat is wiped away with a good bath, the attitude improves.  

The stack still sits there this morning.  I'd do it myself, but lugging 80-pound bales and stacking them would not be good for the sprained wrist, which is gradually healing.  So, I'm hoping said laborer shows up today to do his job.

If not, Bill will stack the bales this afternoon after he takes a Kaniksu Land Trust group on a morning tour of a farm near Colburn which has been approved for a conservation easement.  

Once those bales are in the barn, my stress will diminish until the next challenge. 

In the meantime, I am picking and grinning a lot, thanks to my garden of all gardens.  Lots of green beans.  The first picking went into the freezer yesterday, and I ate part of another fresh cucumber.  

New potatoes are pushing their way up through the dirt, and I've been able to salvage most of the blueberries after the deer got an early start.  

The pansies are once again blooming after the deer ate all the others last week.  Wonder how long they'll last during this round. 

Cooler weather is coming, and I think most folks are happy to see it.  I know I am.  It will be nice to give all the fans a rest.

Happy Saturday. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of picking and grinning, are you still playing your banjo or did I miss something?