Monday, August 31, 2015

Rain Show


I don't think I've ever been so happy to see it rain so hard. 

That was the prevailing news feed on Facebook yesterday, as poster after poster expressed gratitude and relief that finally the rains did come.

They were pounding at times, happily really wet all the time. We received a thorough scrubbing and a big boost for fields where our critters have been eating tasteless grasses for weeks.  

We won't talk about the deer.  Their cuisine differed widely from that of the cows and horses, thanks to gardens and flower beds.

This morning when I turned Lily and Lefty into the first pasture rather than the hay field, they did not race across it.  They stopped just past the gate, put their heads down and began breakfast immediately.  

That's where I've been sprinkling, so baby green grass has had a chance to grow, and I'm sure it was mighty tasty to my horses.  

Anyway, yesterday's rain was delightful, and after several hours, the landscape, the shrubs and the flowers offered some lovely photo ops.  

Raindrops never looked prettier coming from the sky and landing on leaves, limbs and petals. 

And, then appeared that mighty rainbow . . . kinda like one I've never seen in a lifetime.  

At our place, we could see two distinct rainbows, but one definitely stood out from the rest kinda like Jamaica's Usain Bolt did in his sprints over the weekend. I don't think I've ever seen such a dominant runner. 

Yup, that was a Usain Bolt rainbow last night, taking up the eastern sky, far and away the most spectacular rain art I've ever seen. It adds one more item to the list of natural extremes we've witnessed during this strange summer. 

We are thankful for the beauty and the boost to the critter food supply. 

Meanwhile, off in Japan, Annie spent her Monday touring the neighborhoods and the shopping scenes of Tokyo.  She had a geocaching friend to guide her on her travels, and I'm figuring she's about to turn in for the night. 

On her tomorrow, which is still today here, she'll move on to Kyoto where she'll spend a couple of nights.  I have a feeling we'll see a temple or two in her upcoming photos. 

Hers from the neighborhood tour are at the bottom. 

Busy week ahead here.  I talked to my sisters last night, and for all intents and purposes, they're basically starting their new teaching year today----with the official start on Wednesday. 

So, we'll all be into a new routine, not seeing each other much 'cept for Friday nights.  

In my case, I have one story to write, some details to attend to for next week's reunion and probably some yard work, which after yesterday's rain, should once more be a bit satisfying and pleasant.

Better get at it.  Happy Monday. 



















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning! That beauty made my day!
-LL

Red Strings said...

There's something immediately dignified about this venue - it is beautifully designed, tasteful, and understated. Went to this comfy event space nyc recently, just the right temperature, good food and great experience.