Monday, September 14, 2015

All's Quiet on the Lovestead Front


It's gray out there.  It's quiet 'cept for vehicles headed mostly toward town.  It was still somewhat dark when Terry Wood passed me this morning on my brief walk.  Shorter days are upon us.

About the only item stirring up any extra attention this morning is the bent fence post and the loose wire along the lane.  

Something went over that fence, and big clumps of long black hair---some stuck between the post and the wire---other strands lying on the ground below would suggest that the mystery animal might have been a horse.

My horses don't have black tails.  Maybe the darkness was fooling me.  Lefty has a reddish brown tail while Lily, as an Appaloosa, has not real tail long enough to get stuck in a fence.

I looked for new tracks, but it was a little on the dark side, so I'll go check that out again.  For now, I'm surmising that it must have been a strange horse, but from where, I do not have a clue.  

Whatever it was, I'm guessing there might be some soreness associated with the jump as that post was pretty bent over. 

In other news of the morning, it wasn't really that dark in Clark Fork for a while because the Cabinet Bar burned down.  I saw a photo with the structure fully engulfed and just read that the fire was going strong at 4:30 a.m. 

Just like with the bent-post mystery at my place, speculating on Facebook began. Someone wondered if it was an insurance fire.  Someone else lamented, "No bar in Clark Fork."  

I'll bet things are not at all quiet over there this morning with the speculating and the curiosity seekers.  

Meanwhile, back at the Lovestead, if there's a path back to normal for my life, I think I might be on it today.  We'll see how long it lasts.  For now, I'm savoring the quiet and the gray. 

I'm looking forward to tending to some stuff that hasn't gotten my attention lately and to doing the wrap-up paperwork for our reunion, including assembling address labels for Dann Hall to send out the group photos. 

We did well with our budget.  As with any reunion, our main disappointment dealt with those who registered but didn't show up.  In some cases, we knew classmates had health problems; in others, we haven't heard a word. 

With that yearlong project pretty much wrapped up, I'm aiming my sights toward what I hope to do this fall-----riding some trails, attending the draft horse show, spending time with a lady named Asa who spent a year here in the '80s as a foreign exchange student from Sweden. 

Asa is coming in late October, and I'm really looking forward to some catching up with her and whatever family members she brings. 

Speaking of former students, I have submitted a story to Sandpoint Magazine about Cindy Wooden, but I would like to mention here in the blog that she had a new book released a week or so ago.

It's about a Cardinel from Manilla who's often called the Asian Pope Francis, so I'll leave you with an image of the book cover, and you can read the rest by checking it out on Amazon.com.

That Cindy is a busy lady these days, and I'm thinking she's gonna be really busy here in the next two weeks when she accompanies Pope Francis to Cuba and the United States. All pretty monumental, if you ask me. 

Have a happy Monday, and do check out the book.

 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't all the speculation about the Cabinet Bar and Grill on Facebook make you, as a journalist, frustrated that the rumor mill is in full operation? I wish people would wait until the investigation is complete before jumping to conclusions.