Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Camera Fun and Caribou Mountain Lodge



I discovered this sight for the first time last fall while out for an afternoon drive in the Caribou Creek drainage of Upper Pack River country.  

On that day, I came around the bend and could not believe my eyes with the stunning magnificence.  


I also could not believe I'd gone my whole life driving the back roads in these parts without ever seeing this view of the valley north of Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille.


On that day, I took photos and drove a little further around another bend, only to see a moose on the road not far ahead.  Having had one scary encounter with a moose while driving Grouse Creek Road years ago, I wasted no time turning around and getting the heck out of there.


This summer I drove my sisters to this same spot.  It was dusk.  A big moon was showing off in the sky.  Barbara captured some phenomenal shots that evening. 


With the glorious autumn days we've had of late, I've been thinking of places I'd like to go with my camera and the dogs.  Caribou Creek Road seemed like the perfect choice for yesterday. 


On yesterday's trip, I took a different fork in the road, not far past the sign high up on a tree advertising a bus stop for CML.  Gullible me----on my first time up, I thought someone actually lived up there and was amazed that the school bus would go that far.


Sometimes it takes me a while to get it.  Bill explained to me that night that CML stood for Caribou Mountain Lodge. I'd heard of the lodge years ago but never really knew where it was located.


And, that is the beauty of the place.  It's remote and surrounded by North Idaho grandeur.  

On yesterday's slight detour from previous visits I drove far enough to see a gate with a sign marked private property.  I'm figuring the lodge was up that road. 

Though I have yet to see the lodge, but it's easy to imagine the unbelievable scenic treat its visitors must enjoy during their winter rides up from the Samuels Store.  


The website tells them that the store with its good breakfasts is where they'll meet their hosts who will take them from the store up to the lodge.   


The website (listed in another block of text below)  tells much more and provides numerous photos illustrating what a pheonomenal adventure lodge visitors have in store. 


It also provides a calendar indicating that, even though some blocs of time are booked, there is room at the inn over the next several months.  


I don't know if I'll ever take advantage of the lodge experience, but I do know that every trip up its road has taken my breath away. 


The trip over Pack River near the Caribou Creek Road turnoff was pretty stunning yesterday also, as are the maple leaves in my yard at home.  


Finally, what's not to like about ol' Festus enjoying the fall in his perch on the deck. 


Today is a day for taking in autumn beauty aboard my horse.  A friend will join me, and we'll just plod around the neighborhood. 


Happy Tuesday. 
























Photo and info. from Caribou Mountain Lodge Website


Caribou Mountain Lodge is a cozy 2-story log frame building which easily accommodates 10 people. There are 3 bedrooms on the second floor, which comfortably sleep ten guests in a combination of queen size beds and bunk beds. Bedding, pillows and towels are provided.

The Lodge’s electricity is supplied by solar panels and a wind generator, with a constant supply of 120 volt power. The lodge has 2 bathrooms with flush toilets and showers in both.

The kitchen is fully equipped with utensils, dishes, silverware and cookware. There is a gas refrigerator, stove and oven and a wood cook stove. Staples are kept on hand. The dining table seats 10 comfortably.



The living room is a comfortable place to gather. It is equipped with two couches, a wood-burning stove and even a piano. An Ibanez guitar is also available.

More information about Caribou Mountain Lodge can be found at http://cariboumountainlodge.com/










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fall is my favorite time of year due to the weather and the colors, which you capture so beautifully!
Janet