Thursday, September 03, 2015

It's a "12" Day, Etc.


A lifetime first:  seeing the Seahawks in person.  Tonight's Seattle-Oakland pre-season game will be the second NFL match-up I've ever seen on site.

The other came about 40 years ago at Lambeau Field in Green Bay when we were visiting my brother Mike and his wife Mary who lived there at the time.  

We attended a pre-season Packers-Denver Broncos game.  

That was my first realization of what television does to beef up the action with close-up shots and different perspectives.  My impression that night was that this seemed an awfully lot like a high school football game, just bigger players.

I also remember distinctly how nice everyone was in Wisconsin.  Seemed like those warm-hearted strangers were all old friends wherever we went in the stadium.  I can't remember, however, who won the game.  I'm sure my brother will chime in. 

Anyway, tonight's game will be our first on-site view of the Seahawks and the phenomenon of "No. 12."  I've attended a few Seattle Sounders matches in that stadium, and I'm anxious to see the difference in crowd behavior and noise volume.  

It gets pretty rowdy and loud at those soccer matches. So, this ought to be a fun experience.  

In the meantime, over in Tokyo, Annie attended a professional baseball game as her Thursday-night sporting event. . . . 

 . . . My first Japanese professional baseball game! Go Marines! Go Fighters! I guess I should pick a team. . . I guess I'm sitting in the Fighters section, so I'm a Fighters fan tonight. ---Annie Love in a dispatch from Tokyo

That's our Precious!


Annie's schedule changed a bit from her initial itinerary, so the visit to Hiroshima did not happen yesterday.  She did, however, ride on a high-speed train from Kyoto back to Tokyo.  In all the years we lived next to train tracks, we never saw anything quite like the one she rode. 

One more day of touring; then, Annie heads back to Seattle.  We'll miss her by a day but will be seeing her in a couple of weeks.  






In other news, yesterday I attended a "Ha! Ha! We Don't Have to Go to School" picnic for Sandpoint High retirees and even a retired administrator.  

Duane and Marilyn Ward hosted the event at their beautiful home, and the turnout was mighty magnificent.  We even had Florine at the party; she drove up from Coeur d'Alene.  

Lots of hugs, even more smiles, some great visiting and always a wonderful reminder that we have done our duty as educators.  Now, it's time to play.  

Some attending last night were newbies, including Judy Helton and Kathy Holm.  The rest of us span about 25 years or so of being out of education. 

I posted a whole bunch more photos of the event on Facebook, and when they showed up, some who HAD to go to school yesterday sounded a bit demoralized.  Their time is a-coming.  For now, we're glad they're there, continuing the important job of "teaching the children."  

Guess that's about it for today.  I don't know how reliable "Slight Detour" is gonna be tomorrow because we're catching a flight home out of Seattle in the morning, but I'll do my best, with at least a few photos of what we see tonight. 

Happy Thursday.  Go 'Hawks!













No comments: